It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: G'MIC in Linux
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:07 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

rich,
Thanks for all your help. I now have Gmic working in gimp 2.8.
I ran it from the terminal. I had to install "libpng12.so.0", "canberra-gtk-module" (this to get the earlier installed version of Gmic working I assume), and "libcurl.so.4".
The next run showed that I had no qt5 - installed that (found it in the list of dependencies at gmic.eu) - now working.
As a novice in linux, I could not have achieved this without your help.
david.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:42 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

rich,

Latest progress on gimp flatpak.
I put the plugin files you provided into the folder at ".var/app/org.gimp.GIMP/config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins".
Heal selection and Resynthesize are both working. I added two others I use frequently: Heal transparency and Wavelet decompose - both work.

I found the lib files at:
.local/share/flatpak/runtime/org.gnome.Platform/x86_64/3.26/"long_string"/files/lib
and
.local/share/flatpak/runtime/org.gnome.Platform/x86_64/3.26/active/files/lib

(One or two of your files appear to be in these locations already.)

Is it worth putting the lib files you provided into one of these locations?
More importantly, if it doesn't work, how do I recover the situation?
As you will gather, I am a complete novice with respect to linux!

david.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:49 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

I wonder why your files are in ./local - does not matter as long as it works.

There should be no harm adding the lib files, they do not overwrite anything. Probably the 'long-string' location is the one to use.

Resynth as you found works, Tested Liquid Rescale, FFT (fast fourier transform), and BIMP (batch plugin) and seem to work ok
I use my home folder for the plugins. A screenshot. The lib files can be sorted by date if you need to get rid of them. When the Gimp flatpak is updated you need to add them again. Make sure they are all executable.
This in my kubuntu 18.04 desktop

EDIT:
In case you manage to get this far:
Most of those files are for the xenal version gmic_gimp_gtk in the flatpak
For Gimp 2.10.6 in ubuntu 18.04 I have compiled the last gimp_gimp_gtk (against gimp 2.10.6 libs) that came with a makefile for gtk That is ver. 2.2.3 a bit old but better than nothing.
For some reason it needs 3 additional lib files
If you want to give it a try the gmic plugin + lib files
https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code ... yp9mSqdmSy

looks like this: https://i.imgur.com/dipS33W.jpg

more edit: Just a reminder. If you installed the flatpak after Gimp 2.8.22 check for migrated resources in ~./config/GIMP/2.10 the standard gimp profile. The might be files in the plugins folder that interfere with Gimp 2.10 flatpak.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:07 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

rich,
Thanks for the latest files/libs. Unfortunately no success.
I loaded Gimp flatpak from the terminal and got the following error messages:

*WARNING* missing babl fast path(s): "R'G'B' double" to "CIE Lab double"
Skipping duplicate plug-in: '/app/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/wavelet-decompose/wavelet-decompose'
/home/david/.var/app/org.gimp.GIMP/config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins/gimp-lqr-plugin: error while loading shared libraries: liblqr-1.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
gimp-2.10: LibGimpBase-WARNING: gimp-2.10: gimp_wire_read(): error
/home/david/.var/app/org.gimp.GIMP/config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins/fourierx64: error while loading shared libraries: libfftw3.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/home/david/.var/app/org.gimp.GIMP/config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins/bimp18x64: error while loading shared libraries: libpcre.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/home/david/.var/app/org.gimp.GIMP/config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins/gmic_gimp_gtk: error while loading shared libraries: libfftw3.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
*WARNING* missing babl fast path(s): "cairo-ARGB32" to "R'G'B'A u8"
david@david-Aspire-5734Z:~$

Do I assume that this means that the plugin files are not suitable for my setup?

Thanks for all your continued help.

david.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:10 am  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

I do know they work in my (k)ubuntu 18.04

I commented before about the different install locations, still wondering about that.

However, most of those error messages refer to the library files not being seen.

Could be 1 ) they are in the wrong place 2 ) they are not executable.

You have done very well for a beginner to linux so far, get to know the system, acquire some easier tools for managing files as root and it will become easier.

Hopefully the developers will enable some additions to get round the rather sparse org.gnome runtime installation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:55 am  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

Finally success!!! Both versions of Gimp working.

My problems with 2.10 flatpak were caused because I didn't realise that there was a ".var" file in home and a var file when I looked under computer in the files menu. After I put the lib files in the correct location everything worked.

I have a lot to learn about linux and software in general.

Many thanks to rich. Without his help none of this would have been possible.

david.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:37 am  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

A little more help required if possible!

I came to use Gimp 2.10 flatpak and when I tried to use G'MIC Gtk I get the attached error message.
If I open Gimp from the terminal there is no indication of missing files.
(Running Gimp under Ubuntu 18.04.)

I have not changed anything on the machine and it was working previously.

david.

Attachments:
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png [ 123.3 KiB | Viewed 2671 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:02 am  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

Still working here (k)ubuntu 18.04, Gimp 2.10.6 flatpak, gmic_gimp_gtk https://i.imgur.com/TR9QLs2.jpg

Was working before, not working now, you did not change anything. Something must have changed.

Is your Ubuntu 18.04 doing unattended upgrades? Almost as bad as Windoze. see: https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/02/how ... ate-ubuntu

If the org.gnome runtime has been updated then those 30-something lib files will need reinstalling.

Otherwise do not know.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:48 am  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

rich,

Thanks for your quick reply. It was actually an Ubuntu problem - various other programs were not working, so yet another re-install!
I decided to drop Gimp 2.8 and just install 2.10.
Everything working, including G'MIC Qt, Liquid rescale and Resynthesize. The only thing I am missing is heal transparency (useful for not losing area when I level the horizon on landscapes).
I am sure it will work, but despite searching, I have been unable to find a copy to download.

I, and I am certain many others, would wish to thank you for the enormous help you give to users of Gimp.

david.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:35 am  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

You can get the python plugins from https://github.com/bootchk/resynthesize ... ginScripts
and plugin-heal-transparency.py downloading with the RAW option (no line numbers) Remember to make executable.

I will attach it anyway. The usual unzip, pop in ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins

I use the Flatpak in 'buntu only because I want to keep a Gimp 2.8 but on my PClinuxOS desktop only Gimp 2.10

Going to the installed Gimp 2.10 will make things much easier for you. From what I read Gimp 2.10.8 is coming soon and will be easy to update from the ppa

Levelling horizons: Check out the measure tool in Gimp 2.10.6 which now incorporates that function. I put a note about it here: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Rotat ... 3#pid10823 - the second screenshot - that shows vertical but horizontal is automatically recognised.

Attachments:
plugin-heal-transparency.py.zip [1.67 KiB]
Downloaded 75 times