It is currently Sat Jul 06, 2024 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GIMP Not Exorting JPG Correctly for Web
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:13 pm  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.10.8
Operating System: Linux
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level
URL or Image link: https://imgur.com/a/SGmZsPY

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
GIMP export option

List any ERROR messages you received:
No error message

My OS: Ubuntu 18.04
Gimp Version: 2.10.8

When I finish editing a photo I save a copy by exporting as JPG. When I display the JPG on my computer using the ShotWell Viewer or IrfanView (with Wine) it looks great. But as soon as I open the image in a browser it looks really bad.

If I take the JPG I exported from gimp and use irfanview to Save for Web the image looks good both in my local viewers and in a browser. A link to examples is in the Image link field.

Any help with correctly saving JPG files for the Web with GIMP will be greatly appreciated.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: GIMP Not Exorting JPG Correctly for Web
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:29 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

hi zippity welcome to Gimp Chat.
IMHO the 'save to web' idea is over-simplistic. Generally speaking, web pages load faster with lower resolution images, so web designers often trade-off between quality and fast page load times. Images online still have to be rendered by your browser.

I checked the images and the Gimp image is 5.2Mb while the Irfanview image is 1Mb. The Gimp image has to contain more image data. In my browser the Gimp export looks a little lighter than the Irfanview one but that is easily changed from Gimp using the Colors Curve tool.

Exporting to web actually means reducing the size of the image (width, height) or exporting with a lower quality setting like you can do with JPGs from Gimp.