It is currently Sun Jul 07, 2024 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How do I set up a new default for the colour picker?SOLVED
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:55 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.10
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Experienced User

I always set the colour picker to "sample merged" when I paint but it gets to be a pain in the butt. Is there any way I can set it so that it is set by default to sample merged?

Last edited by Erisian on Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: How do I set up a new default for the colour picker?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:00 am  (#2) 
Script Coder

Set all the tools (Color Picker and others) at you want them set (this includes FG/BG colors, brushes, pattern, etc...), avtivate the Tool you want to be active by default, then Edit>Preferences>Tool options>Save tool options now.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:03 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

ofnuts wrote:
Set all the tools (Color Picker and others) at you want them set (this includes FG/BG colors, brushes, pattern, etc...), avtivate the Tool you want to be active by default, then Edit>Preferences>Tool options>Save tool options now.

Thanks ofnuts. It didn't work. I'm using Portable Apps version and it is set by default to open with the last used settings rather than a set default setting. Maybe I have to do something with an .rc file? I've tried with and without "save tool options on exit" checked and it makes no difference.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:05 am  (#4) 
Script Coder

Right above the "Save tool options now" button there is a "Save settings on exit" checkbox that should be un-checked.. But if you always use the picker with "Sample merged" and that setting is reset when you start Gimp then this box isn't checked?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:33 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Sorry, I explained myself badly. I tried setting all tool options to the defaults I want including for example, foreground and background colours. It makes no difference whether the box is checked or unchecked, Gimp always loads with the last used values rather than preferred defaults. The colour picker is ok now if the box is unchecked because I always use sample merged. Is there any way I can set up defaults to load whenever I load Gimp?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:50 am  (#6) 
Script Coder

As I said if you uncheck the "Save settings on exit", from then on Gimp will start using the values last saved in the tools settings files (all the "{gimp-profile}/tool-options/gimp-something-tool" files). And to change these files you would then have to use the "Save tool options now!" button since Gimp won't update them on exit (if it does, there is a bug...).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:37 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Just to add to Ofnuts posts, in Gimp 2.10 Preferences you also have to go to Input devices, and untick Save input devices on exit, click on Save input device settings now. Weird but one of the devs said it was 'normal'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:00 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks both - the colour picker is fine now. Is there a way I can change gimp so that it always loads the foreground colour as black, the background colour as white, the colour picker on sample merged and the move tool on move active layer, no matter what changes I have made to these in a painting session? I don't want it to load the last used values, I want to set up defaults to open with.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:22 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Don't worry - found it in input devices.