It is currently Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trying to add plug-ins but can't figure it out
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:08 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: New User

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
g'mic, fx foundary, resynthesizer, elsamuko

So I'm trying to add plug-ins and I'm just not getting how to get them moved to Gimp. I keep opening them, but I can't find Gimp to put them in there. I was able to get g'mic moved to Gimp. I am hoping to do more plug-ins, and hopefully find some brushes to add. It was suggested that I do this so I can enhance the pictures that I add color to. Please keep in mind that I'm still pretty new to gimp and I'm just now starting to explore these things. Also, are these good plug-ins? Do you have any other suggestions? Thank you in advance for any help y'all can give.

:tyspin

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Trying to add plug-ins but can't figure it out
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:55 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Hi. Place all the plugins inside you Personal Gimp 2.10 plugins folder
C:\Users\YourName or Users\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:38 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Pocholo wrote:

That's part of the problem, I can't find that folder. I have looked for it in my computer and just can not find it. I know I'm doing something wrong, but I don't understand what. When I unzip the files, gimp doesn't show anywhere. I guess I'm not understanding if it's somewhere else, but I have looked through all the files on my computer looking for it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:54 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Pocholo wrote:

This is what I'm showing. Everything keeps going to the file, but it's not showing up in Gimp.

Last edited by BipolarQueen on Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:47 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

You need to make each plugin executable by ticking the box in file properties.
You may need to invest some some time learning about the file manager in your operating system. This is the most worthwhile thing a computer user can do IMHO. If you already know the file manager forget that suggestion. :)

Also security alert. You published your real name on the internet. Consider removing the first image. I would.
Cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:23 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

First thing: In GIMP "filters", "plugins" and "scripts" are different things and are handled separately. In your screenshot, Resynthesizer and GMIC are plugins and can stay where they are. The files with no extensions that are showing in the screenshot are "scripts" and should go in another location.

From the folder that is showing in your screenshot, select all of the no-extension scripts. Cut them. In the location bar click near the top of the screen on "210". This time, select the "Scripts" folder and paste.

Back in GIMP, under the Filters menu, go down to "Script-Fu" and click "Refresh Scripts." [If you exit and restart GIMP it'll do this update automatically.]

If these are the Foundry scripts, some or maybe all of them may show up under a new main menu "Foundry" heading. Individual scripts also may show up under other main menu headings, "Script-Fu" or "Color" for example.

If the "Resynthesizer" plugin isn't showing up, you have to identify it to GIMP. Goto EDIT > Preferences. At the bottom of the Preferences window click on the "Folders" button. Select and open the "Plugins" item. Click the Plus-sign icon to all a new folder. At the other side of that navigation bar click the folder image icon.

Now you have to navigate back to AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins folder. IMPORTANT: You are not in the Windows Explorer while doing this. You are still in GIMP itself.

When you get there, the GMIC and Resynthesizer folders should be visible. Select the Resynthesizer folder and click OK. Its folder will be added to the "Plug-in Folders" list. Click "OK" -- DO NOT CLICK "RESET." Close and reopen GIMP and Resynthesizer should now show up under, I believe, the Filters > Maps menu.

If this sounds like a lot, it's because the first time through on your own it really is a lot. It gets easier each time.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:13 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Just to add to Tas_mania / neurolurkers posts

1. You are using Windows. You do not need to make any Gimp plugin executable. If it has the correct file extension (.exe or .py) it will run.

2. About extensions. Those files shown in your screenshot are associated with a PDF reader (adobe). In file explorer view menu enable file extensions so you can see what you have. All shown are old FX foundry scripts filename.scm. Wrong place. should be in C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\scripts

Attachment:
scripts.jpg
scripts.jpg [ 209.5 KiB | Viewed 10039 times ]

3. The gmic_gimp_qt should be ok. Depends how it was installed. Use the Windows installer from gmic.eu Does all the work for you.

4. Resynthesizer in a folder Resynthesizer_v1.0-i686 is never going to work. It is 32 bit Is your Win 10 32 bit (doubt it)?
4.1 It is an old version (2011). A more recent version. Try https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Resyn ... or-Windows
4.2 The 2 files resynthesizer.exe and resynthesizer-gui.exe plus any of the filename.py (if there) will not work in a folder that name.
4.3 Put them in C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:16 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

BipolarQueen wrote:
Also, are these good plug-ins? Do you have any other suggestions? Thank you in advance for any help y'all can give.
:tyspin

I wouldn't add the FX Foundry scripts. They are for 2.6. and work well in 2.8, but in 2.10 you will get errors.
If you need some old script for 2.10, test it first. If it does not work, you can request update and someone will fix it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:44 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Tas_mania wrote:
You need to make each plugin executable by ticking the box in file properties.
You may need to invest some some time learning about the file manager in your operating system. This is the most worthwhile thing a computer user can do IMHO. If you already know the file manager forget that suggestion. :)

Also security alert. You published your real name on the internet. Consider removing the first image. I would.
Cheers.

Thank you for pointing that out. I try not to make that mistake, but I got careless. I have been fighting with this problem for three days now.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:48 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

neurolurker wrote:
First thing: In GIMP "filters", "plugins" and "scripts" are different things and are handled separately. In your screenshot, Resynthesizer and GMIC are plugins and can stay where they are. The files with no extensions that are showing in the screenshot are "scripts" and should go in another location.

From the folder that is showing in your screenshot, select all of the no-extension scripts. Cut them. In the location bar click near the top of the screen on "210". This time, select the "Scripts" folder and paste.

Back in GIMP, under the Filters menu, go down to "Script-Fu" and click "Refresh Scripts." [If you exit and restart GIMP it'll do this update automatically.]

If these are the Foundry scripts, some or maybe all of them may show up under a new main menu "Foundry" heading. Individual scripts also may show up under other main menu headings, "Script-Fu" or "Color" for example.

If the "Resynthesizer" plugin isn't showing up, you have to identify it to GIMP. Goto EDIT > Preferences. At the bottom of the Preferences window click on the "Folders" button. Select and open the "Plugins" item. Click the Plus-sign icon to all a new folder. At the other side of that navigation bar click the folder image icon.

Now you have to navigate back to AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins folder. IMPORTANT: You are not in the Windows Explorer while doing this. You are still in GIMP itself.

When you get there, the GMIC and Resynthesizer folders should be visible. Select the Resynthesizer folder and click OK. Its folder will be added to the "Plug-in Folders" list. Click "OK" -- DO NOT CLICK "RESET." Close and reopen GIMP and Resynthesizer should now show up under, I believe, the Filters > Maps menu.

If this sounds like a lot, it's because the first time through on your own it really is a lot. It gets easier each time.

THIS!! Thank you so much!! I was able to get everything moved where it should be, and the others added to Gimp. The Resynthesizer folder is showing up now, but I haven't been able to locate it in the program yet. I truly appreciate the walk through. It was very clear and I was able to understand it perfectly! I read the other posts that were suppose to explain it, but I was just not able to process what I was reading. Hope that makes sense. Again, thank you so much!!

Also, I'm trying to find brushes to download. Would I use the same steps for them as well? :tyspin :tyspin :tyspin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:19 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Pretty much same. You drop brushes in the brushes folder. The formats are .gbr, .gih or .abr
Sometimes they may be archived, (.zip or .rar) in that case extract the archive first.

DeviantArt is one of the best places to find any resource files for Gimp.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:50 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Bipolar Queen, I'm glad it was helpful. Adding brushes is easier than what you did above since it is only one-step. With WINDOWS EXPLORER drop the [unzipped] brush files in ... AppData > Roaming > GIMP 210 > brushes

They will show up next time you open GIMP. Photoshop ABR files can be used, in case you were wondering.

The above comments about the FX Foundry scripts are correct; they are badly outdated. You will find that many of them -- as well as any number of other scripts you find online -- don't run at all, don't run properly, or they seem to run but don't seem to do anything ... The help instructions for them may be long buried in chat commentary. And there may be another version of the script that works perfectly. If a script doesn't work as you want, I would suggest you can save yourself a lot of grief in the near-term by simply moving on. In GIMP, even deleting a non-working script file from your system is not straightforward. Since GIMP had no file-naming conventions, a menu name that appears in GIMP may have little or no apparent relation to the name of the actual file you want to delete.