It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Some basic questions
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:49 pm  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.10.6
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: Windows 7
GIMP Experience: New User

I’m a VERY amateur photographer. I’ve used Photoshop for some time but have decided to switch to GIMP.

Computer – Windows 7, 64-bit, 4 GB RAM.

These are some basic questions I have about GIMP.

SOFTWARE – I started out using GIMP 2.8.20 a few months ago, and then installed 2.10.6. I had no problems installing the SW, downloaded from the gimp site. I am NOT interested in making GIMP look like Photoshop.

What do I have to do to install each software program discussed below. What is the best source for the new version? Do I have to install the old version first? Do I have to edit the registry? Are there any “odd” things I have to do to install any of these programs.

GIMP - What are the advantages and disadvantages of the official GIMP program (downloaded from the gimp website) vs the Partha program vs the Samj program vs whatever other “custom” versions of GIMP?

GMIC - I have downloaded and installed GMIC from the GMIC website without problems.

RAW PROGRAMS - What Raw programs are available to a GIMP Windows user? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

DOCUMENTATION-I often reference the GIMP Users Manual at the gimp website. How do I determine the release date of the Users Manual I have opened online?

As I understand it, the 2.8 manual was copied to be the 2.10 manual, and then various sections (but not all) have been updated. How do I tell if a particular section is current for 2.10, other than by looking at the dialog for a particular item and seeing if it’s the one I get with 2.10?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Ray73

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Some basic questions
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:35 am  (#2) 
Script Coder

Partha bundles some popular plugins with Gimp, so you don't have to hunt for them or worry about their compatibility.

Most of the open source RAW processors (Rawtherapee, Darktable, Photoflow...) are discussed on pxls.us. Since they are free you can try them all :) This is really the best forum if you are interested in photography and processing with open source software.

Post subject: Re: Some basic questions
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:28 am  (#3) 

Thanks, Ofnuts.

Ray73