It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Problem in startup and file transfer 2.10.12
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:35 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

I have just now installed Gimp 2.10.12 in a quite new Asus Zenbook laptop and I have the following problems.
(Using windows10, 16GB Ram, 512 GB SSD),

1. When starting Gimp I got the startup window at the screen and then it seems as if Gimp will hang for about 25 seconds. The window shows all the time "searching for data files". After that when Gimp load starts again it will go very quick to start Gimp. If I click on the startup screen when I guess it hangs the screen also will be grayed out, so sure it hangs. Any solution?

2. I have also strange things when opening bigger files in Gimp.
- If I open a 65MB XCF file from the SDD disk at the laptop it will take around 2 seconds för Gimp to open the file.
- If I only copy this 65MB file from an external harddisk to my SSD in the laptop it will take around 6 seconds.
- If I open the 65MB XCF file from the harddisk in XNView it will take around 7 seconds.
- If I open the 65MB XCF file in Gimp 2.10.12 from the harddisk it will take around 23 seconds!!!!!!!!
So my question:
The opening time for Gimp when the file is on the SSD is less than 2 seconds (se above). And the time for copying the file between the harddisk and the laptop is 6 seconds (se above). WHY will it take 23 seconds for Gimp to open the file from the harddisk??????????

Hope anyone can have a good answer. I have now tested all I can and I now understand less and less.

Une

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Problem in startup and file transfer 2.10.12
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:39 pm  (#2) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
une wrote:

I have just now installed Gimp 2.10.12 in a quite new Asus Zenbook laptop and I have the following problems.

1. When starting Gimp I got the startup window at the screen and then it seems as if Gimp will hang for about 25 seconds. The window shows all the time "searching for data files". After that when Gimp load starts again it will go very quick to start Gimp. If I click on the startup screen when I guess it hangs the screen also will be grayed out, so sure it hangs. Any solution?

- If I open a 65MB XCF file from the SDD disk at the laptop it will take around 2 seconds för Gimp to open the file.
- If I only copy this 65MB file from an external harddisk to my SSD in the laptop it will take around 6 seconds.
- If I open the 65MB XCF file from the harddisk in XNView it will take around 7 seconds.
- If I open the 65MB XCF file in Gimp 2.10.12 from the harddisk it will take around 23 seconds!!!!!!!!
So my question:
The opening time for Gimp when the file is on the SSD is less than 2 seconds (se above). And the time for copying the file between the harddisk and the laptop is 6 seconds (se above). WHY will it take 23 seconds for Gimp to open the file from the harddisk??????????

Hope anyone can have a good answer. I have now tested all I can and I now understand less and less.

Une

Try and have Gimp create a New User Profile.
You can do this,
by renaming the old/current profile,
to something like .gimp.2.10_Old.
Then launch Gimp and it will create a New User Profile.
See if after doing this,
that things are working as they should be.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:16 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Wallace,
Can you tell me where I can find the current user profile and what the name normally is
Une

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:31 pm  (#4) 
Administrator

Gimp 2.10 personal folder/profile (Windows) is in:
C:/Users/yourname/AppData/Roaming/Gimp/2.10

You also need to make hidden folders visible.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:39 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

One more question ....
Shall I rename all directory named 2.10 which include lots of directories brushes, backup, curves, environment ..........
to 2.10_old???

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:53 pm  (#6) 
Administrator

une wrote:
One more question ....
Shall I rename all directory named 2.10 which include lots of directories brushes, backup, curves, environment ..........
to 2.10_old???

You only need to rename the 2.10 folder,
not any of the sub-folders within it.

For instants,
rename the current 2.10 folder to something like,
2.10_old.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:00 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Wallace and good morning!
I have renamed the 2.10 folder and restarted Gimp but it is the same. So this is not the problem.

But when searching I found this:

bondde
May '18
Hello, I have same problem too. There is something on the official build because Parthas build is much, much faster.

Official GIMP build:
It takes about 38 seconds to open the image and draw it to canvas.

Adjust curves (without preview) takes about 1 minute and 34 seconds to complete the process and redraw canvas. CPU usage is about 30% and GPU usage jumps between 4-10%.

Rotating tool takes about 2 minutes and 20 seconds to complete the process and redraw canvas. CPU usage is about 70% and GPU usage jumps between 0-40%.

Parthas build:
It takes about 11 seconds to open the image and draw it to canvas.

Adjust curves (without preview) takes about 18 seconds to complete the process and redraw canvas. CPU usage is about 30% and GPU usage jumps between 4-10%.

Rotating tool takes about 20 seconds to complete the process and redraw canvas. CPU usage is about 70% and GPU usage jumps between 0-40%.

Also, there is no GUI lockups or hangs on Parthas build. For example, on official build when I’m on undo tab and click layers tab, or when I click Colors menu and choose any tool it may freeze GIMP for 10 seconds.

Test image for measuring was 42Mpix 16-bit TIFF. Using 8-bit JPEG was bit faster but not much.
My CPU is Ryzen5 1600, GPU is Radeon HD7700 series and I’m using Windows 7 64-bit. OpenCL was enabled on both builds.

Do you know if there is any solution??????

Une

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:40 am  (#8) 
Administrator

une wrote:
Thanks Wallace and good morning!
I have renamed the 2.10 folder and restarted Gimp but it is the same. So this is not the problem.

But when searching I found this:

bondde
May '18
Hello, I have same problem too. There is something on the official build because Parthas build is much, much faster.

Official GIMP build:
It takes about 38 seconds to open the image and draw it to canvas.

Adjust curves (without preview) takes about 1 minute and 34 seconds to complete the process and redraw canvas. CPU usage is about 30% and GPU usage jumps between 4-10%.

Rotating tool takes about 2 minutes and 20 seconds to complete the process and redraw canvas. CPU usage is about 70% and GPU usage jumps between 0-40%.

Parthas build:
It takes about 11 seconds to open the image and draw it to canvas.

Adjust curves (without preview) takes about 18 seconds to complete the process and redraw canvas. CPU usage is about 30% and GPU usage jumps between 4-10%.

Rotating tool takes about 20 seconds to complete the process and redraw canvas. CPU usage is about 70% and GPU usage jumps between 0-40%.

Also, there is no GUI lockups or hangs on Parthas build. For example, on official build when I’m on undo tab and click layers tab, or when I click Colors menu and choose any tool it may freeze GIMP for 10 seconds.

Test image for measuring was 42Mpix 16-bit TIFF. Using 8-bit JPEG was bit faster but not much.
My CPU is Ryzen5 1600, GPU is Radeon HD7700 series and I’m using Windows 7 64-bit. OpenCL was enabled on both builds.

Do you know if there is any solution??????

Une

Sorry that this had no effect.
I don't know of a solution to this issue.
I've been using the portable builds of 2.10.
Mostly complied by Partha.
However, I have also used builds compiled by Samj.
Both of these builds run very well and quickly.
Perhaps you might want to try some of these portable builds.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:51 am  (#9) 
Script Coder

une wrote:

So my question:

Une

Difficult to answer. How full is the disk? The XCF could be fragmented, so accessing the file could involve significant disk head movements. When you test load times, the file can be cached to memory so in some cases you may not be measuring disk accesses.

What is the RAM used by the image (see Gimp status bar)? How does that compares to the tile cache size (Edit>Preferences>System resources). Are the swap and temp directories on disk or on the SSD (Edit>Preferences>Folders, top of the hierarchy)? What is the CPU usage while the image is loaded?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:31 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Hello Wallace and Ofnuts,

I will tell you what I did and what happened.
I followed Wallace and uninstalled the official version and instead installed Partha version.
When opening the Partha gimp now it opened in maybe 5 seconds! Perfect.
When I have used Gimp now for many years I have collected many scripts and plugin over the years.
So I now copied my collected scripts to the new Partha installation, and suddenly now the Partha gimp hangs when I start it.
Removed all installed new scripts and now Gimp starts directly again.
So in some way some old scripts are causing this problem.
If I want some of the old script I now only install one at a time to see that everything works.
Thanks a lot for your help.
Une

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:56 am  (#11) 
Administrator

une wrote:
Hello Wallace and Ofnuts,

I will tell you what I did and what happened.
I followed Wallace and uninstalled the official version and instead installed Partha version.
When opening the Partha gimp now it opened in maybe 5 seconds! Perfect.
When I have used Gimp now for many years I have collected many scripts and plugin over the years.
So I now copied my collected scripts to the new Partha installation, and suddenly now the Partha gimp hangs when I start it.
Removed all installed new scripts and now Gimp starts directly again.
So in some way some old scripts are causing this problem.
If I want some of the old script I now only install one at a time to see that everything works.
Thanks a lot for your help.
Une

You're welcome.
:bigthup

Unfortunately,
finding the script or plugin,
that isn't playing nice is a "process of elimination".
Which seems to describe what you're doing.

I don't know what the issues are with the official Gimp build,
but many people have been having this issue.
I still use 2.8 and only the portable versions of 2.10.
Doing this has kept me from encountering all these issues.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
I'd like to know if you find the culprit script or plugin and what it was.