It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2024 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Uninstalling - Reinstalling GIMP on laptop
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:40 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
heal selection

Gimp 2.8.18 suddenly won’t load and I get an error message it stopped working.

I'm planning on uninstalling my GIMP with CCleaner but which GIMP version should I download and where's there a reliable version? Link please?

I haven’t installed GIMP in ages but I recall it required other plug-ins (e.g. heal selection, etc.) and all sorts of software for GIMP to work its magic.

Which plug-ins and other software do I need? Links please?

It will be run on an ancient (that’s all I can afford) Dell Latitude D800 laptop running Windows 7 on a 32 bit.

My external hard drive I backed up my GIMP replies to bit the dust with no warning so that's all gone.

Thank you.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Uninstalling - Reinstalling GIMP on laptop
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:41 am  (#2) 
Script Coder

1) uninstall/reinstall won't fix anything if you re-use the same Gimp profile (and I don't know if CCleaner can clean that). Of course if you go from 2.8 to 2.10 your Gimp profile is at a different place... but the 2.10 installer will migrate the 2.8 profile to 2.10 and this could migrate profile problems as well.

2) 2.10 is fairly stable by know, but not all plugins have been ported to it

3) you are the one who knows. If you installed plugins properly the additions are in your Gimp 2.8 profile so easy to spot

If you tell us the error message we could make suggestions to fix the problem. On the other hand, on an ancient computer, it could be the computer having hardware problems (I don't trust a HDD over 5 years old, and a SSD over 3) and installing a new Gimp isn't going to fix things.