It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Initial Zoom Ratio = Show entire image?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:28 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.10.10
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: New User

Under Preferences->Image Windows, I've got "Initial Zoom Ratio" set to "Show entire image." However, images still pop up with tons of surrounding space, so the first thing I do every time I open an image is manually click "Adjust the zoom so that the image becomes fully visible" in the Navigation panel - this makes the image truly zoom-to-fit the interface (aka it's as large as it can be, while seeing the whole thing).

Is there no way to make images pop up that way: show the entire image (but without large empty borders around it)? :)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Initial Zoom Ratio = Show entire image?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:57 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:
...Is there no way to make images pop up that way: show the entire image (but without large empty borders around it)?

I do not think so, depends on the size of the Gimp window and monitor resolution as well as the image. A border around the opened image pre-supposes a small(er) image at 100% zoom. One image pixel = one monitor pixel.

I get round it with a keyboard short-cut (got to be more convenient than the navigator window) to fill the current Gimp window.

Attachment:
fit.jpg
fit.jpg [ 70.93 KiB | Viewed 3214 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:01 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

>>A border around the opened image pre-supposes a small(er) image at 100% zoom

Nope - I'm opening an image that's larger than the screen resolution. i.e. when I launch, it comes up at 25% zoom. Then when I manually zoom-to-fit, it goes up to 35% zoom (no borders).

>>I get round it with a keyboard short-cut

Yeah, that works too. I was just hoping there was a way to have it do that by default, to avoid the extra step for literally every image I open.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:10 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:
..Nope - I'm opening an image that's larger than the screen resolution. i.e. when I launch, it comes up at 25% zoom. Then when I manually zoom-to-fit, it goes up to 35% zoom (no borders).

Then you have the Gimp window maximised - swings and roundabouts ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:13 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Huh?

Not sure what that last reply meant. Again, I'm just trying to get it so when an image opens, it's as large as it can be (no unnecessary wasted space as borders).