It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Creating two outer rings for a logo
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:36 pm  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.10.12
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: Win10
GIMP Experience: New User

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
none

List any ERROR messages you received:
none

Hello,
Newbie alert ... I am very new to GIMP and trying to either break apart a simple logo or just recreate it from scratch. It's essentially circular b/w logo with a black outer ring with a white inner ring and a shutter/lens (photography) inside it, and text in the center of it.

I just need to get the outer ring layers created but I am struggling with it and I feel like a knob because I have been to Youtube and watched vids but i'm missing something and it's likely very basic. I got the outer black circle layer and tried adding a white inner layer but isn't working. From that I should be able to figure out adding the other layers in.

In the end I want to have the two rings as separate layers, the shutter image as another and the text as the fourth.
Any help would be great and this could be the easiest post to resolve in decades ... lol
Thanks in advance
Michael

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Creating two outer rings for a logo
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:52 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

It should be possible to create the outer ring using a circular selection on a new transparent layer and flood-fill black, then shrink the selection and cut (ctrl-x or delete) This will give you transparency in the middle.

If you want to learn a lot of tricks like this, I recommend Draconian's metalwurx tutorials. Look through the tutorial index here: http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5148

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:56 pm  (#3) 

Erisian wrote:
It should be possible to create the outer ring using a circular selection on a new transparent layer and flood-fill black, then shrink the selection and cut (ctrl-x or delete) This will give you transparency in the middle.

If you want to learn a lot of tricks like this, I recommend Draconian's metalwurx tutorials. Look through the tutorial index here: http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5148

Thanks !

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:26 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Do you mean something like the attached image?

Have a look at the xcf file. Use the eye to switch off all the layers, then make layers visible one at a time to see what is on each layer.

Attachments:
RingsLogo1.xcf [43.66 KiB]
Downloaded 150 times
RingsLogo1.png
RingsLogo1.png [ 35.01 KiB | Viewed 4249 times ]