It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Corrupted display on custom platform
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:39 am  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Linux
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

Hey folks, sorry about the grammar etc..., English is not my mother language...

I've got an issue there, which might be uncommon.

So, to make it quick: I work with a ***very*** customized Linux (kind of slackware derived). Bad thing: it's uncommon and "off tracks", Good thing, I can recompile everything, down to the kernel.

Compilation of Gimp v2.10.12 along with its dependencies went OK, Gimp starts.

The problem comes when action begins: moving layers, selecting, even moving the cursor... It's like after something has hovered on top, redrawing uses misplaced pixels/sprites...

It's pretty hard to describe, so I grabbed a video. Unfortunately I can't post it here because the youtube link in the post causes the error: "your post looks too spamy for a new user, please remove off-site URLs. ", and trying to upload a .mp4 I get "The extension mp4 is not allowed.". Maybe in another post when I get older???

I am not in a hurry, but I am determined! I really want to use Gimp which I have got used to in the past (on another platform). I am ready for a long journey! If anyone can give me any direction to look at, even just for debugging, or just for describing in english this type of error (for web search): I will take! I'm looking for any type of help. Maybe the first question is: "where is the best place to ask??". Usually I end up asking in the "developer" section, maybe someone can tell me where I can find this type of community for gimp?

Cheers!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Corrupted display on custom platform
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:57 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

For Gimp 2.10 issues, try asking on the Gimp Developers Mailing List see: https://www.gimp.org/mail_lists.html

Quote:
..a ***very*** customized Linux (kind of slackware derived)..

Might be anything but sometimes having OpenCL enabled causes problems. In Edit -> Prefernces -> System Resources -> Hardware Acceleration, untick (if it is ticked) Use OpenCL.

best of luck.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:38 am  (#3) 

Ok, sorry to have bothered everybody, I found what the problem was: cairo and/or pixman library too old. (a litting digging into the code helped me find out what functions were used when the problem happened)

rich2005 is very right: the gimp developer mailing list looks like the best place to ask!

I'm now in!!! for real!!! YEAAAAHHHHHHH

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:54 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Good on you for going in this direction. Compiling is an interesting experience. Looks like you are on a new Linux distro or the start of one.