It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to remove halo around ink drawings? (for anime)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:27 pm  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.10
Operating System: Mac OS
OS Version: 10.13.4
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

Hi, I am importing pen and ink drawings into gimp for color and running into halos around my ink lines. I have discovered how to use the magic wand and grow it by 2 pixels and that helps with some. However, I could use a step by step that walks me through the process. I tend to layer my finished transparent background drawing over a background image. In other words I want my character pen and ink to be colored but the background to be transparent so I can put my character in a scene. Hopefully this is clear.

I have found how to do the alpha channel/select by color/delete/select all/add layer for color/move ink up to color second layer (this creates halos)
I have found how to highlight on the ink with the magic wand and grow 2+ pixels to remove some halos

There is likely a better way to allow me to color without these halos cluttering up the finished drawing. HELP???

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: How to remove halo around ink drawings? (for anime)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:22 am  (#2) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
FayThompson wrote:

Hi, I am importing pen and ink drawings into gimp for color and running into halos around my ink lines. I have discovered how to use the magic wand and grow it by 2 pixels and that helps with some. However, I could use a step by step that walks me through the process. I tend to layer my finished transparent background drawing over a background image. In other words I want my character pen and ink to be colored but the background to be transparent so I can put my character in a scene. Hopefully this is clear.

I have found how to do the alpha channel/select by color/delete/select all/add layer for color/move ink up to color second layer (this creates halos)
I have found how to highlight on the ink with the magic wand and grow 2+ pixels to remove some halos

There is likely a better way to allow me to color without these halos cluttering up the finished drawing. HELP???

Have you tried using the Curves Tool?

Set the Channel to: Alpha
Then try and see if you can adjust this "halo".
I'd also put a background behind it,
which will make it noticeable.
If the Curves Tool is doing anything to help.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:31 am  (#3) 
Script Coder

FayThompson wrote:

Do not use [delete], but use Color-to-alpha to remove the background (actually, to make it transparent).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:13 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Threshold alpha might be useful. I believe it is in layers/transparency.