It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reregister fonts?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:59 pm  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.10.10
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: 10
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

I use the Windows font Candara in GIMP on a regular basis. Suddenly, in the last two months,

- previously created text boxes look fine
- until I enter them and change anything
- then the font becomes thinner
- but still Candara.

In the font list I now have Candara (the new thin one) and Candara #1 (which doesn't really look like Candara).
Candara (new look) in bold is thicker than old Candara. Candar still shows up fine (only one version, and looks normal) in other applications (Word, PowerPoint).

I've tried uninstalling Candara and Candara Light (part of the same font family), in case the latter is what's screwing GIMP up. I've reset GIMP's font list from the dockable Fonts toolbox. I've added all the Windows font folders to GIMPs font folder list. I've deleted and reinstalled GIMP completely (but may not have found all its settings, if they're not deleted automatically).

This is driving me crazy. Candara works fine everywhere except GIMP, but I can't get it to work there.

It feels like there's something wrong with GIMP's font info - maybe after a Windows update added a Candara Light? - but my efforts haven't fixed it.

Attachments:
File comment: View of the font differences and listing
Candar_font_issue.jpg
Candar_font_issue.jpg [ 249.43 KiB | Viewed 2215 times ]
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Reregister fonts?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:15 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

The light version seems to somehow take over the normal version.
You can't uninstall Candara on Win10 the normal way, because it's system font.
I tried disabling the loading of Windows system font folder, by editing the fonts.conf file (remove this line: <dir>WINDOWSFONTDIR</dir>) located in C:/Program Files/Gimp 2/etc/fonts and put only candara.ttf & candarai.tff in the Gimp user fonts (AppData/Roaming/Gimp/2.10/Fonts)
Seems to work. The problem is that you won't be able to use the light version this way.

You can hide a font family in the Windows/Fonts but they were still loaded. What's the point?

Another way I tested is to hack the names. Changed Candara to Candara Regular.
I'm not suggesting this to fix the problem because it removes digital signature, but it works.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:47 am  (#3) 

Thanks for this suggestion. I'll give it a try. After more searching - I apologize for not finding this earlier; I have an impending deadline - I found this topic, which suggests where the problem arose.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17645

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:03 am  (#4) 

In the end, I decided to take the old Candara fonts, rename them to Candara Old (using FontForge), and install those for all users. That seemed easier than trying to remember which fonts were where, or using a substitute font (Galdeano was closest). Thanks again to all.