It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 4:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: screenrecorder for GIMP use
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:59 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: New User

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
python heal selection

My esteemed listmates,

This is probably off-topic but somewhat aligned with tasks I’d like to perform in GIMP.

When I’ve download a training video and I wish to print a frozen frame of that video (e.g. with pie charts, bullet lists, etc.) which software have others used to “screen capture” that screen to later print?

I’ve tried Avidemux, OBS, Camtasia in the Windows vein but none have proven reliable.

I froze the video while watching it in VLC Media Player and the snipped the frame using Windows Snipping Tool to capture a jpg or png of that frozen frame but it appears granular when I open it after saving it.

I understand (and want to learn) Linux Mint has its own built-in screen recorder application (MyScreeRecorder or some similar name). I’ve downloaded the portable version of Linux Mint Cinnamon to run on my flash drive so I can learn that.

If any Linux users here can pls suggest what they would use to screen capture a frozen frame and then save and print that, I’d also be interested how its done out side the Windows environment.

Also, how would I create an animated file (even a .GIF animated) in GIMP?

Thank you so very much.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: screenrecorder for GIMP use
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:05 am  (#2) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
VLC has a it's own Snapshot function/hotkey (Shift-s) you can use.

I changed the snapshots to be saved to a different directory,
other then the default save location.
I believe by default,
the save location is C:/users/username/pictures.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:24 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

I prefer SMPlayer over VLC on Linux. But it works exactly same way than VLC.
S takes a screenshot, with . and , you can go frame by frame back and forth.
For normal screenshots I use Shutter with a 5 seconds delay. That's because the normal PrintScrn button does not work if you want to take a desktop screenshot of Gimp user interface with any of the menu entries open. At least on Xubuntu18 I have this problem, didn't try on Linux Mint.

You create .gif animation in Gimp from File: Export as..., and use .gif extension (or type it after the file name).

Advise, do not make big gif files. Be it big in resolution or in length. Gif is suitable for small and short animations.
You can also optimize it before exporting from Filters/animation/optimize (for gif)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:58 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:
...I’ve tried Avidemux, OBS, Camtasia in the Windows vein but none have proven reliable...

In Windows not too good, However Avidemux is an editor not for video screencapture and If you do start to use linux probably SimpleScreenRecorder (a front-end for ffmpeg) is a good starter.

For extracting a frame as an image VLC is very good and might suffice.
I would not give up on Avidemux. Same as Gimp there is a learning curve, but capturing a frame from a video is very straight forward. This an example with the exported png frame shown.

Attachment:
avidemux.jpg
avidemux.jpg [ 184.21 KiB | Viewed 4825 times ]

Using Linux? Shown is the 'portable' Avidemux, an appimage.

Edit: Just remembered this ;)
Quote:
...Also, how would I create an animated file (even a .GIF animated) in GIMP?..

See that line in Avidemux, Save Selection a JPEG. That renders between 'A' and 'B' as separate frames. Usually far too many for a gif but there are ways to easy reduce to a suitable number. Otherwise it is command line and ffmpeg (which you will hate)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:52 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

https://imgur.com/a/sZWMhgL

Hi All, I so appreciate all your suggestions and posts. I just wish I could read them when I save them and try to read them off line. I've uploaded what I see to an imgur post. No mater how small I make the Word margins so much of the text and graphics you kindly share go off the page so I can't read them.

I copy/paste into Word 2003.

Do you all copy/paste text and graphics posted here into some other program besides Word? If so, what parameters do you set it all to so you can read what's posted?

Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:19 pm  (#6) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
eagertolearn wrote:
https://imgur.com/a/sZWMhgL

Hi All, I so appreciate all your suggestions and posts. I just wish I could read them when I save them and try to read them off line. I've uploaded what I see to an imgur post. No mater how small I make the Word margins so much of the text and graphics you kindly share go off the page so I can't read them.

Do you all copy/paste text and graphics posted here into some other program besides Word? If so, what parameters do you set it all to so you can read what's posted?

Thank you.

If you're using Windows.
You can take screenshots,
by holding the Windows Key and tapping the PRTSC key.

There are also Browser Extensions,
which one might add to their web browser.
That will take a snapshot of a entire web-page.
The one I use is called,
Full Page Screen Capture for google chrome.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:43 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

eagertolearn wrote:

Thank you.

Sometimes I copy/paste tutorials into LibreOffice Writer, edit them and save as .odt (LibreOffice format)
You can crop and resize images in Word, so that they fit in the page.
I attached you a .pdf copy of this topic for offline use.

Very inconvenient to read text of the screencaps, especially when you grab it from a forum page where it isn't positioned well.
I recommend continuing with Word and copy/paste the images if you need them.

Attachments:
EagerToLearn-Tips.pdf [242.75 KiB]
Downloaded 70 times
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:49 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

@eagertolearn
First that copy-paste into a word document. If you can not resize the pasted image to suit then try opening your empty document in landscape mode instead of portrait.

-----------------------------
However other options. Print to a PDF, if I want to keep for later I always print a PDF. Most browsers have a sent to printer function and Win 10 has its own PDF printer. Otherwise there are free PDF printer programs around.

Change you default web browser. I use linux and have used slimjet browser for many years. Not saying it is the best browser around but it has many built in functions.

First time I have tried in Windows ( A Win10 VM) Used the portable version https://www.slimjet.com/en/dlpage_win64.php

Some screen shots: The options for saving - PDF - screenshot - video

Attachment:
01-save.jpg
01-save.jpg [ 119.39 KiB | Viewed 4567 times ]

If you do not have a PDF reader slimjet can open it,

Attachment:
02-save.jpg
02-save.jpg [ 106.45 KiB | Viewed 4567 times ]

Very first time I have tried the video option ;) Not too bad. Saves as a webm file, again use slimjet as a viewer.

Attachment:
03-save.jpg
03-save.jpg [ 103.98 KiB | Viewed 4567 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:16 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Hello gimp User

I use the Chrome Extension "ScreenCastify" to create a ScreenRecorder for Gimp.

Gimp Color Shift

Doron.

Attachments:
2019-11-19 Chrome Web Store - screencastify.jpg
2019-11-19 Chrome Web Store - screencastify.jpg [ 396.83 KiB | Viewed 4510 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:41 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

FastStone Capture works great for all my needs.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:29 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Hi All,

Thank you all so very much.

I copied/pasted exactly what I see in my FF browser here into Libre Writer but it turns off the page, too. How do I edit in Libre Writer to get all your helpful thoughts on the page saved?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:48 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Just to make it clear, I highlight text from the forum post, and copy/paste it into Libre Writer as editable text. You can then make the it even more compact by editing the text. Images I copy/paste separately, and drag from corner when needed. If the image turns out to be too small after resizing, I copy/paste it into gimp, crop it (leaving all unnecessary out) and copy/paste that result into Libre Writer.
A4 paper size, and some simple font 10-12 points size. You shouldn't have any problems done like this.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:12 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

I just copied/pasted what I see on these posts into Libre Writer. I then choose Page>A4 and reduced the font from 12 to 10 and it improves it but still graphics and text go off the page and now it's hard to see what's on the page (Font 10).

Any other solution(s) besides doing a screenshot for every screen I see which is really labor intensive?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:30 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

eagertolearn wrote:
I just copied/pasted what I see on these posts into Libre Writer. I then choose Page>A4 and reduced the font from 12 to 10 and it improves it but still graphics and text go off the page and now it's hard to see what's on the page (Font 10).

Any other solution(s) besides doing a screenshot for every screen I see which is really labor intensive?

Thanks.

I don't do screenshots of screenies. In fact I don't do screenies at all. I right-click the image that's posted on the board and paste it into Libre Writer. The whole thing is something I do very rarely which is why I don't mind if it requires bit more labor, because the doc/pdf will look nicer. You just have to find your way I guess, or wait for better tips.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:10 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

Hi Nidhogg,

A dash off-topic but my PM are close to full here.

I noticed you use Xubuntu.

How did you choose that Linux distro above others? E.g. Knoppix, Mint, Ubuntu, etc

I was considering burning an ISO of Mint to a flash drive but apparently it’s a RAM hog.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:25 am  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

I use also Mint on old MacMini (Gimp 2.8 because of the bad intel GPU), but the reason for Xubuntu was some of the programs I couldn't get to work in Mint.
The couple plug-ins that I've managed so far to build from source, also succeeded on Xubuntu, but on Mint not.