It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2024 7:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Editing a Trifold Brochure
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:55 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: 7
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

I scanned a hard copy of a trifold brochure onto my PC as a PDF. I opened that pdf in GIMP and exported it as a jpg so I could try to edit it in MS Publisher,

However, with the jpg open in Publisher it doesn’t seem to edit it.

Is there a way I can edit the “words” in that trifold in GIMP without losing formatting?

Also, will I be able to just delete any photo in that scanned trifold and just inset new photos into that graphic in GIMP again without losing formatting?

Thank you again.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Editing a Trifold Brochure
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:06 am  (#2) 
Global Moderator

I had to change a flyer the other day only changing text though. I cut out the parts that I wanted to change - Put a colour background similar to the one I already had behind. I knew the font I had used so did my text again over the area I cut out and flattened it.
Oh thinking you wanted to change it in gimp .
You need to put you publisher file in publisher then you can edit without the format changing. What I have done before if there is just a small change to be made on a jpg is in publisher - put a shape (I usually go for rectangles) over the text you want to change. Fill it with your background colour, no outline. Add new text on top, you may need to either add a text box over that or do your text in wordart.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:22 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

No, Publisher doesn't allow you to edit a file in jpg, you can insert it into Publisher but if you want to change the "words" in a trifold you can't in Publisher. I'm not sure if i scan a trifold in if I can change the words in that trifild scanned in as a jpg? I can also scan in to TIFF with my scanning software. That's my options.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:32 pm  (#4) 
Global Moderator

You can - I told you how in my answer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:36 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

No, you really didn't. As I said when I import a jpg into Publisher ti will not change "words" or characters in words. You can delete whole paragraphs but it won't delete a word in a jpg.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:27 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

If you scan anything with text, it does not become editable text.
Its just a bitmap and the scanner doesnt know its text.

The only way to convert text from an image into editable text is by using an OCR program or online service.
But even then you also need to know the original font and have it installed, plus the formatting will be gone.

Also scanning as pdf is not really a good idea, or converting to jpg.
Jpg is a lossy format and you will loose quality after changing anything and re-exporting.
Scan as png, or if your scanner doesnt do that (like mine), use bmp. Not sure about Tiff, read it up on wikipedia.

So what Sallyanne suggested was correct.
Scan anything with text: have the correct font installed, paint out the text you dont want in Gimp, write something new with the texttool.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:08 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

There are well designed, albeit not free, programs other than Adobe where you CAN scan a graphic document in and begin editing in lots for formats.

What Sallyane and you are advocating would take hours.

If you open your scanned file in Publisher, and apply a pain brush over all the words in a brochure and then created a text box over that and they type din out new text that would require an inordinate amount of time.

I have used my OCR software where I can choose formats including TIFF (that's a clearer, more accurate graphics than compressed jpg but becomes a very large file) and I can also save in jpg, .doc, .docx, .odt

Only .jpg can be opened in Publisher which is why experienced graphics creators with healthy budgets don't waste their time in Publisher (most have no idea how to use it). I'm helping for free a small NPO with a limited budget so I'm forced to use Publisher.

The help I need is from professional graphics creators who had to use Publisher at some point.

I've been searching for such a forum and thoughts there might be such professionals here but I understand this is a GIMP forum and appreciate all the help I get with GIMP. Perhaps, one day there'll be an easy way to edit "words" in scanned in documents in common formats in GIMP as it's already amazingly powerful.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:26 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

eagertolearn wrote:
Im not advocating that at all. Im playing the devil's advocate.
Your whole concept and workflow is absurd.
Scanning a brochure, "editing" some words and then what ? Print out again ??
Without CMYK, bleed, etc ?

Quote:
There are well designed, albeit not free, programs other than Adobe where you CAN scan a graphic document in and begin editing in lots for formats.
How do these magical programs know what font was used ? How does that font get teleported into your computer ? Who pays for all the pricy pay fonts that were used ?
Do you have any idea how much a professional designed font costs ?

Quote:
The help I need is from professional graphics creators.
Good one ! A professional on GC. :clap

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:54 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

We can all see your professionalism is lacking assigning descriptions like absurd (especially when pros in the know do EXACTLY what I've shared.)

Your lack of attention to detail is evident by introducing fonts as a non-issue in this task. Fonts are easily applied when necessary.

As for your comment...
Quote:
Good one ! A professional on GC. :clap[/quote

I've found several posters on this list to have conducted themselves as professionals and certainly don't denigrate their fellow posters... even tongue in cheek (affording credit where it may not be due).

I'll look forward to those professionals to share their insights.

Konstantin wrote:
eagertolearn wrote:
Im not advocating that at all. Im playing the devil's advocate.
Your whole concept and workflow is absurd.
Scanning a brochure, "editing" some words and then what ? Print out again ??
Without CMYK, bleed, etc ?

Quote:
How do these magical programs know what font was used ? How does that font get teleported into your computer ? Who pays for all the pricy pay fonts that were used ?
Do you have any idea how much a professional designed font costs ?

Quote:
Good one ! A professional on GC. :clap

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:23 pm  (#10) 
Global Moderator

Looks like you're after a quick fix. Maybe one of our script or python writers can help you. If this is what you want we have a forum for scripts/plugins.
Or if you buy a pdf program (not a viewer) you may beable to edit a pdf in that.

Here you go Eagertolearn, I had a look and it will not cost you anything if you do it here. You can edit pdf's online
https://edit-document.com/?gclid=CjwKCA ... GcQAvD_BwE