It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Slow load times on Windows 10
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:51 am  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.8.22
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

Hi,
I just recently got a new computer running Windows 10, and I am having two major issues. The first is that every time I start up Gimp it searches for the fonts. brushes, etc. I have tried putting the directories in the various standard locations that I have always used before, but I still get the same results.

The other issues is that when I close the program it takes about 15 seconds for the program to fully close.

I have been using Gimp for quite a while now, both on Windows (XP and 7) and Linux (Ubuntu) and never had this problem. If anyone has a suggestion of what I might be doing wrong, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Slow load times on Windows 10
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:30 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Can try to delete (well, better to rename it as gimprc_bak just in case you need to recover some things that you've not thought about) gimprc file and then have GIMP rebuild the file. This sometimes fixes such issues. Also, reduce your number of brushes, especially large file size ones) to a minimum. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:23 pm  (#3) 
Script Coder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:47 pm  (#4) 

Thanks for the advice, but I still had the same results :( What I ended up doing was completely wiping gimp from my computer and I downloaded the older 2.8.20 version I had on my windows 7 machine and everything is working as it should now. Not sure if I just got a faulty DL last time or what, but I will stick with what I have now for the time being - as it works :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:00 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Just recently I have experienced a slow start up with gimp... starts with brushes, then lags.. then it completes the loading process. I've clocked the time on my PC twice. The longest time it takes to load for me is 5 minutes and 31 seconds. The least time it takes is 5 minutes and 22 seconds. I use gimp 2.10.14 windows 10 64 bit. I think the issue for me has to be with the plugins, scripts, and brushes. I'm just happy that it works and my laptop hasn't exploded yet. :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:17 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Probably has to do with that useless plugin you last used. I also added that plugin and experienced slow load time for the first time for me. I had to delete my user files and start again. That P.O.S. SamJ Grunge Text plugin......

mackenzieh wrote:
The grunge text stamp works for 2.10.14:

[ Image ]

The Usure Abrasion works for 2.10.14:
[ Image ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:26 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

racer-x wrote:
Probably has to do with that useless plugin you last used. I also added that plugin and experienced slow load time for the first time for me. I had to delete my user files and start again. That P.O.S. SamJ Grunge Text plugin......

mackenzieh wrote:
The grunge text stamp works for 2.10.14:

[ Image ]

The Usure Abrasion works for 2.10.14:
[ Image ]

No, that wasn't it. I deleted the scripts and it's still slow. Oh well. I can live with that

Last edited by mackenzieh on Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:29 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

That is it. I'm back to normal speed now.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:35 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

For me, my gimp is still slow. I deleted the scripts.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:49 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

I use Ofnuts "addonCollectionManager-3.0" and my gimp run fast. This is his explanation, "This plugin lets you quickly activate or deactivate collections of add-ons. This reduces clutter in the add-ons lists and improves Gimp performance by reducing the number of add-ons it needs to cache". If you have Windows this plugin is the best if you want your GIMP to start fast.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-t ... y/download

If you want to learn how to set this plugin go here: https://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=13277

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:36 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

I agree with Pocholo, IMO the best solution (and flexible...) is to install Ofnuts' addonCollectionManager and personalise by that way your Gimp startup.
This is true of course only if the long start time is due to a lot of resources (brushes, patterns...), if the cause is something else that solution is ineffective.
To double-check: test how is you time if launching gimp in "pure" standard set, that is without any user addition (remember to do this test twice, the first time is often slow in any case).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:02 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

mackenzieh wrote:

Deleting the scripts won't help in this situation. The script did work, although it was slow. Aside from producing the effect, it left Gimp in an unknown bad state. The next few times I launched Gimp, it would just hang for quite a few seconds. I didn't feel like trouble shooting the cause, so I just deleted the 210 folder with everything in it. I keep a clean backup of the 210 folder and just copied it over. Gimp runs perfectly again and loads in less than 5 seconds as normal.

I suggest you delete the links to those old scripts, so no one else goes through that.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:04 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

racer-x wrote:
mackenzieh wrote:

Deleting the scripts won't help in this situation. The script did work, although it was slow. Aside from producing the effect, it left Gimp in an unknown bad state. The next few times I launched Gimp, it would just hang for quite a few seconds. I didn't feel like trouble shooting the cause, so I just deleted the 210 folder with everything in it. I keep a clean backup of the 210 folder and just copied it over. Gimp runs perfectly again and loads in less than 5 seconds as normal.

I suggest you delete the links to those old scripts, so no one else goes through that.

I only posted one link to a script, and then I clicked on the links to where the others were. I don't think deleting the links will help.