It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Removing flare
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:36 pm  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: New User

Hello,

I do hope this is posted in the correct forum. I have an image that has a bit of, what I am calling, flare, on it that I wish to reduce/remove however, I really have no idea how to go about it. There is a light beam coming in from the left of the dogs face that I wish to remove.

Thank you in advance for any help provided. Image file is attached.

Attachments:
001.jpg
001.jpg [ 477.05 KiB | Viewed 2367 times ]
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Removing flare
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:50 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

You can do something with burn tool, Shift+D. It's often used to create bruise effect on skin. One of my first favorite effects when I began 1000 years ago or something like that, used to edit black eyes for everyone :hehe
Use round soft brush (hardness 25), low force and exposure.
You will still have a problem with the color. New transparent layer above the original, fur color picked above the flare area.
Brushed over the problematic areas, played a bit with layer modes. LCh color and Chroma, they aren't available in 2.8
Not perfect, but dog is happy.

You should of course try it out yourself, or the methods other members might post later.
Would post screenies for making it easier seeing you're new, but I gotta run for errands. Welcome to the forum.

Post subject: Re: Removing flare
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:32 pm  (#3) 

Nidhogg wrote:
You can do something with burn tool, Shift+D. It's often used to create bruise effect on skin. One of my first favorite effects when I began 1000 years ago or something like that, used to edit black eyes for everyone :hehe
Use round soft brush (hardness 25), low force and exposure.
You will still have a problem with the color. New transparent layer above the original, fur color picked above the flare area.
Brushed over the problematic areas, played a bit with layer modes. LCh color and Chroma, they aren't available in 2.8
Not perfect, but dog is happy.

You should of course try it out yourself, or the methods other members might post later.
Would post screenies for making it easier seeing you're new, but I gotta run for errands. Welcome to the forum.

[ Image ]

Oh, wow! Thank you so much. Below is my lame attempt. I couldn't really figure out how to get into the dogs face.

Attachments:
002.jpg
002.jpg [ 1.13 MiB | Viewed 2333 times ]