It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alignment tool movement buttons are greyed out and do nothing
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:26 pm  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.10.8
Operating System: Linux
OS Version: Ubuntu 19.10
GIMP Experience: New User

I am trying to make a simple image with a background and a text layer. However, I am having difficulty aligning the text. I have read that the alignment tool should work for this purpose. However, whether I choose to align relative to the image, or to the active layer having chosen the background layer as the active layer, the buttons that are supposed to align the selected text do absolutely nothing. The images in the articles and help page show these buttons as white, but instead they have a black/grey background and don't respond in any way when I click on them.

All I am trying to do is make a rectangle with text centered in the rectangle. I can find no way to do this that actually works. Another method I read of is to make the size of the text layer the same as the whole image then use justification tools. However these likewise do absolutely nothing when I click them. What am I doing wrong?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Alignment tool movement buttons are greyed out and do nothing
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:21 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

You have to select the textbox just right before the alignment tool will work. You have to click the edge of the textbox and see little white boxes in each corner. Then the alignment tool will work. I'm attaching an image of what the properly selected textbox will look like.

Attachments:
Test Text Alignment.jpg
Test Text Alignment.jpg [ 359.16 KiB | Viewed 4318 times ]