It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I KNOW there's a better way!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:29 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: New User

Can someone please tell me a better way to do this?

1. I have an alphabet letter on a transparent background
2. Then I put a line across the center: it's also a png with two black borders
3. Then I want the area between the lines to be transparent, and of course it isn't

There has to be a better way than erasing everything between the lines by hand?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I know I can make it as a jpg and then use the Fuzzy Select tool to make a png. Seems a bit round-about, though.

Attachments:
Example.png
Example.png [ 375.9 KiB | Viewed 947 times ]

Last edited by atlanta43 on Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: I KNOW there's a better way!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:37 am  (#2) 
Global Moderator

I assume the area between the black lines is white. Have you tried to select it and a.)colour to alpha it? Oh and make sure your graphic has an b.) alpha channel.
a.) Image b.) Image
Right click on your picture and if it has "remove alpha channel", it has an alpha channel. If not then you need to add an alpha channel.
It can be done with other colours as well but you have to be precise in the colour you want to remove or you will not remove all of the colour you wish to remove.

Just thought of another idea
You could use a couple of paths but you would have to stroke them separately. Put a new transparent layer over your letter. A path over that layer on the letter then stroke it black. Depending on the size of your graphic would depend on the size of your stroke.
Do the same again with another transparent layer do another path, and stroke. after you can merge all visible layers. Don't "flatten" unless you want the background your gimp's background colour. Export as a png and this will keep the transparency.