It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2024 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cannot seem to scale the print size
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:13 pm  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Linux
OS Version: openSUSE Leap 15.0
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
None

List any ERROR messages you received:
None

There seems to me that there is no obvious way to scale a 8.5" X 22" image to print two pages. I got it to go from 2.7" X 4" to 4.1" X 10.6", but I really do not want to mess around with multiplying the print density (pix/inch) by 2.1 in order to get it "pretty close". The attached snapshots show what I set under "Print Size" and the print dialog box. The "Print Size" shows exactly what I want to have happen, but it seems something is interfering. There is no ability to scale the print dialog either. So, I'm stuck.

Attachments:
File comment: Combined snapshots of the "Print Image Resolution" dialog and one of the popup windows from the print dialog.
Screwed-Print-Size.xcf [308.98 KiB]
Downloaded 111 times
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Cannot seem to scale the print size
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:23 pm  (#2) 
Script Coder

One problem is that you printer has margins, so it will not likely not print on the whole are of a 8.5"x11" sheet of paper. On inkjet printers the margins are at top an bottom so you could be able to print the image on Legal paper instead of Letter.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:47 pm  (#3) 

I don't understand. Since 8.5x11 image won't print on 8.5x11, Gimp will reduce the size to 2.7x4 and refuse to allow it to be bigger? That makes no sense. Anyway, I also exported the image to PDF and used Okular to print, but Okular saw it as a 2.7x4 image also and wouldn't let me make it bigger. The best approach I've figured out is to increase the pixels per inch to "the right number" so that it comes out the way I want. That's a lot of somersaulting for something that should be as easy as "make this image be 8x10 and print on 8.5x11".

OK, I looked at one of the "similar topic" issues. From it I *think* the issue is that, despite the fact my printer prints at 200dpi, Gimp scales down the image and really wants to see stuff at 300dpi. Actually, when I imported the .PDF file, Gimp brought it in as a 100dpi image, which yields microscopic images instead of a full page. The full deal is that I want to import 8.5x11 inch PDFs, fiddle them, and then print 'em out -- full scale, please.

What is the "standard" work flow for doing that?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:21 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:
...when I imported the .PDF file, Gimp brought it in as a 100dpi image, which yields microscopic images instead of a full page. The full deal is that I want to import 8.5x11 inch PDFs, fiddle them, and then print 'em out -- full scale, please.

What is the "standard" work flow for doing that?....

Gimp will always open with a default 100 pixels-per-inch (ppi) Up to the user to set another value. Usually for quality printing that is 300 ppi but it also depends on how the PDF was originally created. Using Okular? then look in file -> properties for information.

Once open in Gimp, any vector properties are gone for good, so do not start scaling up and down to fit, all that does is degrade the image. Get the PDF into Gimp at best size for printing to your paper size (USletter you said) Then do any editing before printing.

...so many if'-and-maybe's a little 3 minute video demo. One way to start off. https://youtu.be/B8O4v-0HK9M

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:55 am  (#5) 

Thank you!!

I know my printer is 200dpi (I play with photography and there it's "ppi" :).
Consequently, my first thought was to "normalize" on 200dpi.
The video was very instructional.