It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Drag & Drop
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:47 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.10.14
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: Windows 10
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

Hello all!

I just upgraded from 2.8 to 2.10. In both instances, I seem to have an issue with dragging and dropping an image file into the Toolbox. I drop it and it literally does nothing. No newly opened image. I can open images fine in the traditional manner, i.e File --> Open....Google Fu has landed me nothing in regards to this issue. I know where to drop the file, it just does nothing.

Not sure what may be causing this but any info would be appreciated.

Thank you.
LordV

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Drag & Drop
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:36 am  (#2) 
Global Moderator

Try dragging into the workspace instead (where the 'wilbur' is) He used to be above the tool box but is now on the window for images.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:43 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

sallyanne wrote:
Try dragging into the workspace instead (where the 'wilbur' is) He used to be above the tool box but is now on the window for images.

Thank you for responding, Sallyanne...

Hmm...Seems "wilbur" is still showing as a small area above my toolbox, as well as the main image area. However, no matter where I drop the image file, it literally does nothing. I get the little boxed '+' symbol while dragging indicating it has the file connected to the cursor (I believe that's what it means)..but upon dropping..Nada.

Attachments:
wilbur.jpg
wilbur.jpg [ 166.92 KiB | Viewed 3061 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:32 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Very strange, never seen that before. Can you copy and paste? What happens when you drag & drop onto the Gimp shortcut?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:50 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

racer-x wrote:
Very strange, never seen that before. Can you copy and paste? What happens when you drag & drop onto the Gimp shortcut?

Thanks for the response, racer-x...

If I drag & drop a png file onto the Gimp shortcut, it does open it into a current open Gimp instance, as well as initiating launch of the Gimp program when closed. I guess I can live with that, would just be much easier if I could just drop a file inside the open program. It's also possible I have some sort of plug-in installed from moons ago that I don't remember and am not aware of.../shrug

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:25 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

I see you're running Win10? You can add a Gimp shortcut in your Right-Click SendTo context command: https://superuser.com/questions/906463/ ... windows-10

Now when you want to open an image file in Gimp, simply right-click on the file and send it to Gimp to be opened and ready for editing. When I used to run Windows, I had many custom shortcuts like that.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:24 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

racer-x wrote:
I see you're running Win10? You can add a Gimp shortcut in your Right-Click SendTo context command:
Now when you want to open an image file in Gimp, simply right-click on the file and send it to Gimp to be opened and ready for editing. When I used to run Windows, I had many custom shortcuts like that.

Thanks! I did that and it works nicely. Still doesn't explain why the actual drag & drop doesn't work but this is shorter than going into File-->Open...

Thanks again!
LordV

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:55 am  (#8) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
Can you check if the drag & drop functionality,
is working with other programs within windows.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:40 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Wallace wrote:
Can you check if the drag & drop functionality,
is working with other programs within windows.

Well, dragging and dropping works within Windows Explorer and I was also able to drag an .mp3 file from a directory into Media Player, so seems like it works alright to me.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:44 pm  (#10) 
Administrator

LordValerius wrote:

Well, dragging and dropping works within Windows Explorer and I was also able to drag an .mp3 file from a directory into Media Player, so seems like it works alright to me.

Is this a fresh install of GIMP?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:02 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Wallace wrote:
LordValerius wrote:

Well, not exactly...I upgraded a 2.8 install...but the same problem was happening in 2.8.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:08 pm  (#12) 
Administrator

LordValerius wrote:
Wallace wrote:
LordValerius wrote:

Well, not exactly...I upgraded a 2.8 install...but the same problem was happening in 2.8.

You could try renaming your current Gimp User Profile.
This way,
when you next launch GIMP.
It will create a New Gimp Use Profile for you to test,
to see if this issue is still present.
If this doesn't work.
I would suggest a clean reinstall.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:17 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Wallace wrote:
Wallace wrote:
LordValerius wrote:

It will create a New Gimp Use Profile for you to test,
to see if this issue is still present.
If this doesn't work.
I would suggest a clean reinstall.[/font]

My guess is that more than likely some plug-in or another that I installed back in 2.8 is the culprit and since the 2.10 install loads up everything from the 2.8 profile, it is transferring to the new install. At this point, I will live with it, but if I get tired enough of it, I will uninstall all and re-install.

Thanks for the assist.
LordV

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:20 pm  (#14) 
Administrator

LordValerius wrote:
My guess is that more than likely some plug-in or another that I installed back in 2.8 is the culprit and since the 2.10 install loads up everything from the 2.8 profile, it is transferring to the new install. At this point, I will live with it, but if I get tired enough of it, I will uninstall all and re-install.

Thanks for the assist.
LordV

:bigthup

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:04 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

Wallace wrote:
LordValerius wrote:

Thanks for the assist.
LordV

:bigthup

So I did a test and re-named the .gimp-2.8 folder and deleted the 2.10 folder and re-launched...It definitely loaded differently with some sort of mushroom graphic or something, instead of my usual graphic. The layout was different as well, so it created a new 2.10 profile folder, but I still could not drag & drop...I am beginning to think that maybe Open Shell may be causing the problem...Just a guess on my part but not sure what else could be causing it. Anyway, just wanted to let you know..

Thanks!
LordV