It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Font In Status Bar Not Loading Correctly (on top of other font issues)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:02 am  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.10.18
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: 10
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

Good morning! I've been using Gimp for a few years now on several machines. I just got a new laptop with a fresh installation and I'm having font issues I've never seen before.

Font layers are resizing themselves (this is my main problem). Font tool works correctly, but altering the text automatically resets the font size. I've also noticed that the status bar font is not displaying correctly which is very bizarre to me--I figured this was a system font. I've attached a screensnip to show this issue.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? This machine is incredibly quick and I don't want to go back to working on my old potato!

EDIT: Corrected a typo.

Attachments:
File comment: This image shows the text problem in my status bar.
textProblem.png
textProblem.png [ 4.37 KiB | Viewed 3607 times ]
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Font In Status Bar Not Loading Correctly (on top of other font iss
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:33 pm  (#2) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
Would you be utilizing any kind of third party application,
to change the appearance and behavior of Windows?

Post subject: Re: Font In Status Bar Not Loading Correctly (on top of other font iss
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:59 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Difficult to comment without a sample file but common issues when:

Quote:
...I just got a new laptop with a fresh installation and I'm having font issues I've never seen before.

If you are opening legacy files made on some other installation then make sure that the old fonts are installed in the new computer. Put the fonts in the Gimp fonts folder, C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\fonts

Usually all looks ok, until you try and edit the text, The font is not there, Gimp uses a standard default replacement and while font size / colour remains the same, the text will look different.

Attachment:
fonts01.jpg
fonts01.jpg [ 129.49 KiB | Viewed 3552 times ]

The text in the status bar is the same as the layer dialogue. I do not have any thing to reproduce exactly but it is for unknown character, 0000 first in the character map. Try and remember what you used between the 1's and 0's This example a broken font that uses 0020 character (normally a space)

Attachment:
fonts02.jpg
fonts02.jpg [ 46.19 KiB | Viewed 3552 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:25 am  (#4) 
Global Moderator

I had that 'status' once a while back but I am sure everything else worked ok.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:38 am  (#5) 
Script Coder

As Rich says, it looks like you have a layer name that includes characters that are not supported by the font that GIMP is using for the user interface.

I can get the same thing if I paste a Cyrillic character (unicode Ұ) into the layer name as the font I'm using (JetBrains Mono) in my custom theme doesn't support it:
Attachment:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 6.04 KiB | Viewed 3544 times ]