It is currently Sat Jun 22, 2024 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cannot Precisely Position Guide Lines in Inches
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:33 pm  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Mac OS
GIMP Experience: New User

Hello All,

I have no experience using design programs and I'm trying to design a waterslide decal for a guitar effects pedal that I'm building. I found a helpful youtube video from 2012 using an older version of GIMP. I'm creating guide lines using the horizontal and vertical rules to position the center of the pedal knobs on my image. The problem is that, after converting the units from pixels to inches, when I drag the rulers I cannot precisely position the guide line. For example, if I want to position the line at .625 (5/8") I can hit .620 or .630; or if I want to position it at 1.25 (1 1/4") I can hit 1.21 or 1.33. This happens whether I use my finger and track pad on my MacBook or a mouse. Is there a way to input the exact coordinates?

Any help is much appreciated.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Cannot Precisely Position Guide Lines in Inches
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:28 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I never really used guides before, but I did some experimenting. When creating a new image, set it to inches and the DPI to 600. Doing that, I was able to hit .625. When setting DPI to 300, it would jump from .623 ~ .627.

That was the conclusion of my test anyway. Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:50 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

It has been my experience that the more you scroll into the image, the more accurate the guides. Using the control button and your mouse wheel, scroll to a greater percentage view until you are able to move the guides pixel by pixel.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:31 am  (#4) 
Script Coder

Clive wrote:
GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Mac OS
GIMP Experience: New User

Hello All,

I have no experience using design programs and I'm trying to design a waterslide decal for a guitar effects pedal that I'm building. I found a helpful youtube video from 2012 using an older version of GIMP. I'm creating guide lines using the horizontal and vertical rules to position the center of the pedal knobs on my image. The problem is that, after converting the units from pixels to inches, when I drag the rulers I cannot precisely position the guide line. For example, if I want to position the line at .625 (5/8") I can hit .620 or .630; or if I want to position it at 1.25 (1 1/4") I can hit 1.21 or 1.33. This happens whether I use my finger and track pad on my MacBook or a mouse. Is there a way to input the exact coordinates?

Any help is much appreciated.

Gimp works in pixels, and guide positions are in pixels. How pixels are translated to physical dimensions is set by the "Print definition" (see "Image>Print size"). Not that this is just an indication to the printer driver...

If the physical positions are .62/.63 or 1.21/1.33, this means that your pixel size is around is 0.01 and that your current print definition is around 100PPI. This is likely too small (print definition is usually 300DPI). But if you increase this, you will reduce the print size of your image, unless you make the image bigger (in pixels).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:44 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

There are ways using stock Gimp tools, for example it is possible to place guides at the end of the measure tool. Might be awkward with a Mac / trackpad.

However there are a couple of utilities to place guides using other than pixels. This one was proposed by one of the Gimp team but never implemented. A script guide-new-unit.scm Put that in your user scripts folder, wherever that is in a Mac.

Attachment:
01-newguide.jpg
01-newguide.jpg [ 52.91 KiB | Viewed 1951 times ]

or
One of arakne's python plugins arakne-guide-lab Two files and a folder, go in the user plugins folder arakne-guide-lab.py , drawUI.py, locales. Might work in a Mac. Make sure the .py files are marked as executable.

Attachment:
02-newguide.jpg
02-newguide.jpg [ 81.47 KiB | Viewed 1951 times ]

Of course, Gimp still works in pixels, so there is always some rounding off. Use a large canvas to give more chance of hitting the best pixel ;)
All zipped and attached.

Attachments:
guides-by-unit.zip [10.68 KiB]
Downloaded 76 times

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:30 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

I recall, 'use Gimp in fractions of an inch' has come up before. One way is set up the canvas so that a suitable number of pixels occupy one unit (inch) Then set up a grid with spacing to match.

example: Using 256 ppi a spacing of 0.125 (1/8") = 32 pixels.

Attachment:
inches.jpg
inches.jpg [ 84.65 KiB | Viewed 1943 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:06 am  (#7) 

Thank you one and all for your suggestions. I'll try them out and let you know what works.