It is currently Sat Jul 06, 2024 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GIMP size question
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:36 pm  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.10.14
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: Windows 10
GIMP Experience: New User

I am trying to get a Canon CR2 raw file ready to print as an 8x10 inch. I created a TIF file using Canon's DPP program, and dropped it into GIMP, where I saved it as an XCF file. I then tried various ways to resize it (normally I use 'scale image' to the width and height in inches) but no matter what I do, when I export it as JPG and upload it to my Walgreens photo account, it consistently will not fit into the 8 x 10 frame without cropping the image.

The sizes are:

XCF

Size: 1867 x 2800 px
Print Size: 6.00 x 8.9 inches.
Res. 311.167 x 311.167 ppi

JPG

Size: 1867 x 2800 px
Print Size: 6.003 x 9.003 inches.
Res. 311 x 311 ppi

Of course it goes without saying that I am a GIMP newbie, and have a lot to learn about graphics and image processing, but I still cannot figure out how a scaled image down to 6x9 (approx) will not "fit" into an 8x10 frame. FWIW, if I drop the exact same JPG into the 5x7 frame, it does not crop it!

I am sure there is something pretty basic I am missing.. perhaps to do with resolution?

Any comments and/or suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
Mitch

Attachments:
IMG_1454_8x10.jpg
IMG_1454_8x10.jpg [ 4.06 MiB | Viewed 1440 times ]
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: GIMP size question
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:19 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

The problem is your 1867 x 2800 px image is not 8 : 10 proportions.

As you said you can crop to the required proportions or you can keep as-is and set one side or the other to the required size but not both.

Use Image -> Print size to set the correct ppi This using the height. example: https://i.imgur.com/SKsLgPK.jpg

Then resize the canvas to the new width for the other sides.

Then up-to-you to fill in the empty space somehow, all depends on the image. This using the resynthesizer / heal selection plugins to fake in the sides. https://i.imgur.com/StQhZs4.jpg

Attachments:
8x10.jpg
8x10.jpg [ 593.22 KiB | Viewed 1425 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:15 pm  (#3) 

Thanks! I will have to work through this.... It is counter-intuitive, at least to me, that
simply scaling to the right size via 'Scale image' or 'Print size' does not do what I want!
I know that graphics design is a complicated subject however, and I want to figure it out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:04 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

mitchmcc wrote:
Thanks! I will have to work through this.... It is counter-intuitive, at least to me, that
simply scaling to the right size via 'Scale image' or 'Print size' does not do what I want!
I know that graphics design is a complicated subject however, and I want to figure it out.

It is simple arithmetic. You have an image 1867 x 2800 pix. If the height is 10" then the pixels per inch (ppi) is 2800 / 10 = 280 (just about photo quality)

..and with 280 ppi, and a width of 8" the image width has to be 8" x 280 ppi = 2240 pix but you only have 1867 pix.

Apart from cropping to the correct proportions and losing part of the image, for 8" x 10" you have options to end up with an image 2240 x 2800 pix

1. Add borders to the image, as indicated in the previous post.

2. Deform the image, scaling the width but not the height. You end up with a well-fed bird but all in the eye-of-the-beholder.

example: https://i.imgur.com/nc5KPSj.mp4

Want a full discourse on the subject see: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Image-size-in-Gimp

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:02 am  (#5) 

@rich2005 - that looks like the explanation I need to understand the concept! Thank you!