It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Color Picker
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:28 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

Hi there,

I've been using the colour palette a lot recently and have created a few palettes for my projects, however, the colour picker suddenly stopped work. Also, if I try to delete a colour from a palette, it won't let me.

I've checked the image mode is RGB and I've even reinstalled GIMP to try and reset everything, but it just hasn't fixed the problem. Please help!!! Thank you in advance.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Color Picker
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:17 pm  (#2) 
Script Coder

Can you post a screenshot of your Tool options for the Color Picker?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:36 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Hi, here's a screenshot. It shows me the colour, but it doesn't come up on the colour choice. When I try to click on the "change foreground colour" docked tab, it disappears.

Attachments:
colourpicker.jpg
colourpicker.jpg [ 259.37 KiB | Viewed 3499 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:05 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Tick "Set Foreground Color".

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:43 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

racer-x wrote:
Tick "Set Foreground Color".

I did follow your advice, I remember now. My time is precious so I don't like wasting anyone's times. Thank you for your help, but this didn't work last time. Yes I check that I'm in the right layer. I'm still getting used to Gimp, but I've worked with Photoshop & Illustrator and they all work similarly to gimp.

Please don't assume everyone here is in their teens or 20s and looking for trouble. I'm a mature lady just looking for some help, but I guess this forum is not for the likes of me.

Have a good life.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:38 pm  (#6) 
Global Moderator

Just one question: If this person (Austral) was a relative, friend, or someone significant, how would we respond to them? Let's keep our tone in responses as neutral and diplomatic as possible.

Austral, this forum is for everyone, including you. In fact, many of us are actually mature "older" folk. If you can look past certain frustrations, you'll actually discover we're a very helpful group. You're always welcome here.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:26 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Your screen shot shows two tools open at the same time, not known if that is intentional or not. Best to use one at a time.

Color picker - click on the tool, click in the canvas. If using a paint tool, then hold ctrl key down and click in the canvas.

Foreground select dialogue - use the picker from the dialogue, click in the canvas. Add to the rotating palette if required.

30 second demo: https://i.imgur.com/PLpQu2X.mp4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:14 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

mahvin wrote:
Just one question: If this person (Austral) was a relative, friend, or someone significant, how would we respond to them? Let's keep our tone in responses as neutral and diplomatic as possible.

Austral, this forum is for everyone, including you. In fact, many of us are actually mature "older" folk. If you can look past certain frustrations, you'll actually discover we're a very helpful group. You're always welcome here.

Thank you very much. Keep safe. :gimp