It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [Citrix] GIMP doesn't see user's local drives
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 12:02 pm  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.10.18
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: Windows 2012 r2
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

I know this may be a odd question for many of you to read. But we use GIMP in a Citrix virtualized environment (for education). This way, no matter the device, a user can use the applications we present to them. Sort of like mobile lab access where ever you are.

I didn't realize when I installed it, is that when you attempt to open/save you don't get your typical 'file manager' to allow you to select "MY PC"
It does see the mapped network drives and the folders within their user profile. But while that's ok, it's important to be able to access the user's local device (harddrive or USB) when they are in this virtual environment. So I need to see the top level "My PC"

Is anyone out there using GIMP in Citrix XenApp? Have you found a way to add the user's local devices?
What this means is that I need to be able to give the user access to the "My PC" option you typically see on a Windows computer's File Manager.

Is there a way, maybe through Registry, to add this as a folder option for all users?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: [Citrix] GIMP doesn't see user's local drives
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 6:51 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

What happens when you drag and drop an image into Gimp?

Don't know anything about Citrix XenApp, but it appears to be some king of Virtual Machine. You may need to assign a shared folder and enable USB support. That's how it's done in VirtualBox, which I do use, but not for Gimp.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 10:03 am  (#3) 

Well, it doesn't really work that way. The application (via Citrix) is actually being run on a server, in a remote location. It only appears to be running on your desktop. Things like clipboard will transfer over but you can't drag-n-drop a file to it.

I do have things like USB enabled within Citrix turned on. But there is where I again need access to the "My PC" file manager aspect. When you're in a Citrix app it does it's own kind of mapping to the user's local computer. it will come up like this

Local Disk C: on YourLaptopName (your local laptop's C drive)
Local Disk E: on YourLaptopName (a usb you plugged into local laptop)

But when I'm in GIMP I don't seem to have the ability to access those locations. It only gives me it's suggested locations.

One person had mentioned to me that it's not GIMP but the GTK+. And to be honest I have no knowledge of GTK+ based applications. I can say with certainty that any other Windows-based program (Word, SPSS, R, Inkscape) pick up on the windows-based file structure.

There must be some way to modify that OPEN/SAVE file locations to add in those extra locations.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 10:10 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

That's interesting. What if you clicked on the search and typed in something like "Local Disk C:"

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 10:47 am  (#5) 

unfortunately no. It appears that it only looks at the local server's C:\ drive in those searches.

So far it's only showing local folders or mapped drives.

And to answer your next thought, no I can't map directly to a user's personal computer in the way you might think. That's all handled through Citrix which is why I need to access that 'My PC' option where it would list it all out.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 12:11 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

That's a bummer, sorry I've run out of ideas. Perhaps this may be a good question to ask at gimp.org? I guess since clipboard works, you can at least copy and paste the image.

Though not in the same league as Gimp, you could try Paint.NET as it is a free Windows image editor.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 12:44 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

It probably won't help - a very stupid question: You turned on the display of hidden files?

Attachments:
Show.png
Show.png [ 14.82 KiB | Viewed 6840 times ]

Slava
Ukraini!
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 1:08 pm  (#8) 
Global Moderator

Citrix cannot access a USB thumb drive? On VB you can mount drives and USB ports. Citrix sounds like a very limited Virtual program. Baffling to even think it isolates users in this fashion.