It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 8:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Noise reduction?
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:03 am  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.10.18
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
None

List any ERROR messages you received:
None

Hello GimpChat peeps...

I'm bleedingly new to the forum, so go easy on me... I know there are search options, but there are SO many options for specific needs when it comes to GIMP, I don't know where to start.

I have an old Photoshop knowledge base, and VERY basic GIMP (old as well) knowledge base. I'm technical by trade, but stopped using photo editing a long time ago as complexity, to me, fell out of interest in favor of other aspects of life; however I have a knack for photography and am trying to get back into the hobby.

Anyway, that extremely brief background aside...

With the wonders of GIMP I know there are numerous plugins, which all offer their more or less complex means for manipulating a photo. I also know the "basic" included features of GIMP are quite powerful in and of themselves.

I have a Canon Ti3; and sadly stock, out of box lenses. I've had the camera for YEARS now, and I know, I know, these lenses tend to lend themselves to grainy photos, as I'm sure a lot of you may know. The photo example I'm posting is of interest to me. Although I know its not a .RAW file on my hard drive, I'd like to do what I can to enhance it without spending hours of life searching how to clean it up, or working on it to do so.

Specifically I'm wondering what the best methods of removing / cleaning up grainy back grounds would be? Layering, then editing? A "magic" tool (plugin?) to do the job? The subject of this photo I think is well(ish) in focus, but the background is horribly grainy. Is it salvageable? And beyond the back ground, is the main subject "clean-up-able"?

Is there a detailed, newbie friendly walk through available to do the tasks at hand for GIMP version 2.10, or an intuitive enough tool available to complete the job?

Anyway, thank you all in advance.

Attachments:
Online-example.jpg
Online-example.jpg [ 917.96 KiB | Viewed 2929 times ]
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Noise reduction?
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:52 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I would select the background and then edit with blur .. very simple

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:53 am  (#3) 
Global Moderator

I actually purchased an app from MacPhun called Noiseless, and was very disappointed in the results from using it. I found that Iain Ferguson's old noise reduction script in GMIC actually worked better. I use the same camera model as you do, and had to upgrade my lens to get away from the noise element that is so common with stock lens. Here's a sample of Iain's script at work. It's not perfect, but its a good start.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 1:32 am  (#4) 
Global Moderator

My go to tool for noise is Nik's collection 'de fine'. Gimp is able to call it now

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 6:36 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Hi XtremeFalcon. I would say that bird is a honey eater because of it's long thin beak.

When I see photos like that I'm reminded of the billions of years of evolution that produced highly specialized creatures like that....and like us.

I see many people, including artists actually degrading the products of billions of years of life on this planet. They have a million ways of doing it and it's socially accepted and encouraged.

So what are you trying to remove from your bird? The rest of the planet that just happened to get in the way?

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 4:40 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for the post about G'mic's Ferguson's old noise mahvin. I don't believe I've tried that one before. It works well.

Attachment:
denoise.jpg
denoise.jpg [ 850.25 KiB | Viewed 2849 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 12:40 am  (#7) 

Wow wow wow... First of all, to all who replied THANK YOU.

I have an old stigmatic memory of fourms and most of the ones that I use to visit carried negative people who weren't very helpful, or kind with their replies.

To see the results you've all posted is great; and give me hope for my camera lenses inherent flaws. I can clearly see the differences between each of the suggested tools.

@Tas_mania -

If by honey eater, you mean nectar, yes it is. This particular bird is a Hummingbird, specifically a Rufous Hummingbird. It visited my back yard while flying through on its migratory flight the other month. It's rare to see such a breed in my area, and thus is why I wanted to clean the photo up a bit. My aim isn't to remove details of the bird itself, its a beautiful bird! But to remove the static, or grainy mess from the background so when I go to print the image for my collection I have something that is easier on the eyes.

@sallyanne & @racer-x -

Honestly of the examples / suggestions everyone was so kind as to share, I think I like this idea the best. This "G'mic Ferguson noise mahvin" tool seems to have the best balance in cleaning up a photo, without going too far into softening up the primary subject to my eye. Where can I find this plug-in (do you happen to have a link I can use)? Is it fairly intuitive or is there a good walk through for being able to take advantage of its uses? And do you know, is it compatible with GIMP vr 2.10? I tried running a quick and simple search online just now but wasn't able to find anything related to it.

@jappaloe1963 -

I thought about that, but my patience with trying to relearn the best way to separate foreground from background ran out too quickly; and I started thinking about what other options were available. Hopefully with time I'll relearn what I once knew and diving into such a task will become as easy as I remember it.

@mahvin -

I'm glad to see you completely understand my woes with this camera and its stock lenses. As you have the same model, I'm curious at the moment, do you happen to have any photos you wouldn't mind sharing which show how well it can preform with better glass? I know the camera is more than capable of quality photos, but so many of my shots with these stock lenses have led me to wonder if getting something newer would be better vrs investing in better glass; and within that wonderment I find myself just settling with the idea of going neither route and moving on from the hobby; which becomes another thing I wrestle with because I KNOW I enjoy this, especially when the shots come out amazingly without editing.

Any-who.. Take care all and thank you again!

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 9:36 am  (#8) 
Global Moderator

I have a few on my Mac here. Keep in mind that I am not a PROFESSIONAL photographer, nor do I claim to be. :bigthup

Imagine finding this at your campsite and wondering where the body is.

In addition, GMIC can be found at https://gmic.eu/download.shtml and added to GIMP, depending on your Operating System. Plenty of helpful people here to guide you along should you need it. Ian's filters are in "Testing". You will find numerous filters to keep you busy for hours on end, if you need time to kill. I carry my laptop with me everywhere, and books. :hehe

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:31 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

mahvin wrote:
Imagine finding this at your campsite and wondering where the body is.
[ Image ]

Read the neck tag and you can purchase the complete suit from the shop.
Sorry about being off-topic but it's a :coolthup mask.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 11:13 pm  (#10) 

@mahvin - those look great! professional or not! I'm surprised by how much of a difference the lenses make.

I still wonder however; where I can find G'mic Ferguson noise mahvin?

Is this the add-on: "G'mic Ferguson noise mahvin"

Thanks all!

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 12:42 am  (#11) 
Global Moderator

There are two places in the GMIC plugin that you can find Iain's filters for noise removal
Under Repair in GMIC
Also under Testing
ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:58 am  (#12) 
Global Moderator

Did you download GMIC from their website (I left in the link)?

Let me know where you are in this process and I'll start from there.

***sorry SallyAnne, I didn't see your post above mine***