It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Uninstalling - Reinstalling GIMP on laptop
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:36 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: New User

Gimp 2.8.18 suddenly won’t load and I get an error message it stopped working.

I'm planning on uninstalling my GIMP with CCleaner but which GIMP version should I download and where's there a reliable version? Link please?

I haven’t installed GIMP in ages but I recall it required other plug-ins (e.g. heal selection, etc.) and all sorts of software for GIMP to work its magic.

Which plug-ins and other software do I need? Links please?

It will be run on an ancient (that’s all I can afford) Dell Latitude D800 laptop running Windows 7 on a 32 bit.

My external hard drive I backed up my GIMP replies to bit the dust with no warning so that's all gone.

Thank you.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Uninstalling - Reinstalling GIMP on laptop
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:03 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I would not use CCleaner to uninstall Gimp, just use the Windows uninstaller. After uninstalling Gimp, reboot your computer and then install the latest version of Gimp.

Post subject: Re: Uninstalling - Reinstalling GIMP on laptop
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:39 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Go to: C:\Users\YourName\.gimp-2.8 to see if you still have the preferences folder. If you are installing Gimp old version, make sure you install the last version of the 2.8 series (2.8.22). But if you are installing GIMP latest version, make sure you re-name the .gimp-2.8 folder to, ".gimp-2.8.old". Otherwise GIMP will migrate all the stuff you have there to the new GIMP 2.10 folder. If that happens, it will cause a lot of problems with older scripts and plugins not compatible with GIMP 2.10. After you install GIMP 2.10.18, then you can move your stuff from the 2.8 folder gradually to see what filters scripts and plugins you can use in the new version. :bigthup Good luck!