It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mouse acting weird
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:37 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: New User

So I've been using Gimp (2.8.14) for a little while so not quite a newb but just today when I opened it up and tried to work on some projects my mouse is acting weird. It worked perfectly fine when I used it yesterday. When I click on the menus (File, Edit, etc) the menu flickers open then closed immediately. I have to click it 4-6 times to get it to stay open so I can select something.

When I used the rectangle selection tool or crop tool as I drag the mouse it will stop and select half way thru or jump and start another selection as I drag, so the selection I started when I click/drag disappears or if I have it set to "add" to the selection I get two different selection rectangles. For the crop tool it stops before I finish dragging it to the size I need and if I try to click the corners to change the crop lines it applies the crop.

If I have two images open at the same time and I go to the taskbar and hover over the Gimp icon (I see both images) and I try to select the second image it doesn't come up, it stays behind the first image so I have to minimize the window for the first, then select the second image.

It's like the mouse is clicking/unclicking even when I have the mouse button pressed down.

I upgraded to 2.8.22 today to see if that fixed it, but still the same problems.

Any ideas why it is doing this? I tried resetting the tools (Shift + clicking the reset arrow) but that didn't help.

Or maybe it's just my mouse or windows because my mouse seemed to act just a little weird on this forum. I tried to click between words so I could add something and it selected the whole word next to where I clicked.

:( :( It just did it again. I clicked once on the frowny face to the left of this message box I am typing in and it added two frowny faces. Weird.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Mouse acting weird
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:33 am  (#2) 
Script Coder

Looks like your mouse contact is getting bad and "bouncy" so that it double-clicks at random. If it's a wireless mouse maybe it just needs a fresh battery. If it's a cheap wired mouse it needs to be replaced.

Post subject: Re: Mouse acting weird
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:37 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Same happened to me a few weeks ago. Replacing it with a new one .... and everything is ok again.

(Gimp 2.10 on Linux Mint MATE 20.1)