It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trouble exporting to .psd
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:30 pm  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.8.20
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: Windows 10
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

List any ERROR messages you received:
Calling error for procedure 'gimp-item-get-image':
Procedure 'gimp-item-get-image' has been called with value '2' for argument 'item' (#1, type GimpItemID). This value is out of range.

Calling error for procedure 'gimp-image-get-precision':
Procedure 'gimp-image-get-precision' has been called with an invalid ID for argument 'image'. Most likely a plug-in is trying to work on an image that doesn't exist any longer.

Hello all,

I recently updated to GIMP version 2.10.20, and I've been having some troubles with exporting to .psd file type. I'm not entirely sure if the problem is related to this version of GIMP, because I just started the exporting to .psd after updating. But, I occasionally get the above errors.

I can't seem to find a consistent cause. Yesterday, for example, all I did was open a .psd file, rearranged and renamed some layers, and tried to export, and got these messages. After receiving these messages, the file is damaged (either the image will be cut in half and stretched, or just a blur of pinks and blues). Sometimes this happens when I have a .xcf file that I try to export to .psd too.

What could be causing this? Any help would be much appreciated!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Trouble exporting to .psd
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:38 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

No replies?

I can reproduce that error (or I could yesterday but not today ;) ) It is very intermittent. Going to be difficult to submit a bug report that does not get dumped.

Do you absolutely need the modified file as a psd? An imported psd is not the same as the original anyway, adjustment layers gone, text layers flattened. You might as well save your work as a Gimp .xcf

However, if you need the multilayer psd, maybe to send to someone, try saving as a Gimp .xcf. Close Gimp down, re-start gimp, open the .xcf and try exporting as a psd. I got a sort of 50% success with that.

Post subject: Re: Trouble exporting to .psd
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:45 am  (#3) 

Hi rich2005, thank you for your response. Yes, I'm working with someone who uses Photoshop, and I need to be able to send them .psd files.

I tried jumping back my GIMP version to 2.10.14, and so far haven't had the problem, although, like you said, it was intermittent on 2.10.20, so it may pop up still.