It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gimp Art Question
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:33 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.10.18
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: 10
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

I would like the characters in my art to appear to hold/touch real objects ( photos copied/pasted into GIMP). My challenge is finding out how to properly layer fingers and hands over the photos. In a recent attempt, my goal was to have an image of a real $100 at the top of a stack of money with the character's drawn fingers holding it. I've figured out how to "select" around the fingers, insert the photo of the money but don't know how to "paste" the selection back over the image. Can someone please show the steps how to get this done. Thanks.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Gimp Art Question
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:35 am  (#2) 
Global Moderator

The easiest way to do this would be to zoom in real close on the hand holding the money, use the Free Select Tool (looks like a Lasso) and create a selection of that hand, then copy and paste the hand to a separate layer.

Then open the image of the 100 dollar bill, and paste it as a new layer (Edit function) into the current image. If that image needs the background removed, etc, you'll have to use the Free Select Tool to create a selection around the bill, invert the selection (Selection/invert) then delete the background. Take the image of the bill and scale it to the size needed to cover the stack in the image, then rotate the same bill image to fit over the stack.

Go back and move the hand layer you previously selected out, and make it the top most layer.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:57 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

I've done a lot of this sort of thing. I found it's best to open the base image twice, then paste-in your new layer (money) to the first canvas, then free select from your second base image into the first one. Worth remembering you can use the Perspective tool to drag the corners into the correct perspective first before you paste-in your fingers.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:39 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:
I've figured out how to "select" around the fingers, insert the photo of the money but don't know how to "paste" the selection back over the image.

Good advice in the previous posts. Another way is use a layer mask. Non-destructive, if you make a mistake, easy to correct (or start again ;)

The gimp docs: https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-layer-mask-add.html and https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Layer_Masks/

Using a black / white brush, on the layer mask paint out / in part of image.

Then with the 'object' opened as a new layer, move it under the image layer and transform to fit.

The United transform tool is a good one to get into. Everything there when you understand it. see: https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-tool ... sform.html

..and maybe for say that particular image, the warp tool just add to the uneven edges.

example https://i.imgur.com/TfCU3uL.mp4

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:58 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Mahvin and Tas_Mania and rich2005. Your advice worked perfectly!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:31 pm  (#6) 
Global Moderator

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

Zojambula, I made a short video for you so you can better use Tasmania's suggestion of the perspective tool. It's not obvious to new users how that tool works, so I created the video (very short) to show you how to get that 100 dollar bill to lay near perfectly over the stack of bills in the background image. Enjoy!