It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 1:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gimp Stopped Working
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:34 am  (#1) 

GIMP Version:
Operating System: Mac OS
GIMP Experience: Experienced User

Greetings,

I recently upgraded my macOS to Catalina 10.15.5 and after that GIMP was not working properly, not being able to access certain directories -- most annoying. I thought perhaps I needed up to update GIMP. So, I removed the old version 2.10.8 and installed the new version 2.10.20. The install and adding GIMP to the Applications folder all seemed to go well -- but when I started GIMP it did not open.

So, I removed the new version and reinstalled the old version. It, too, will now not open. I checked my process table and see it is running:
UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD %CPU %MEM ARGS
502 2105 1 0 6:33AM ?? 0:00.00 /Applications/GI 0.0 0.0 /Applications/GIMP-2.10.app/Contents/MacOS/gimp -psn_0_536707

but the GUI never appears (this process has been running for over an hour now).
I checked my security settings and see that "Allow apps and downloaded from:", "App Store and indentifed developers" is selected.

Any ideas on how to get this working again?

Thanks,
Brian

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Gimp Stopped Working
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:55 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

I use a Mac and never had this problem, so it's hard for me to just guess what the problem is. Since it started prior to Catalina, I would personally (not suggesting you do this) roll back the OS and see if the problem is still present, before the ability to do so is lost. Do you run any checkers on your Mac? I use CleanMyMac and Gemini to keep my system clean and free up space. It also scans for corrupted files, etc. You could pull up terminal to fire up GIMP and see what the system says.

Post subject: Re: Gimp Stopped Working
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:39 am  (#3) 

It appears the OS upgrade removed a needed link. So, I put the link back and all is happiness.