It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Scale doesnt seem to work
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:47 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: New User

my new is sized 10.5 inches by 8.5, i opened a new image file as a layer, and it comes in at 8x6, and when i try to scal it, nothing happens. I looked on youtube and watched a video and looked at the manual and i believe i followed the instructions. but the image remains the same size after i scale it. I do not want to drag the corners to scale it to the full size.

ok the first pic is before and after the scale, the second is the scale.

Attachments:
scale.JPG
scale.JPG [ 81.28 KiB | Viewed 2778 times ]
image original size.JPG
image original size.JPG [ 86.8 KiB | Viewed 2778 times ]
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Scale doesnt seem to work
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:02 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Hi iti. If you use "Scale image" the whole image will scale, that is including the background. You need to use the "Scale tool" to make as big as your background.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:24 pm  (#3) 
Global Moderator

As Pocholo suggests, be sure to check the image icon in the tool options dialog.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:28 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

mahvin wrote:
As Pocholo suggests, be sure to check the image icon in the tool options dialog.

[ Image ]

ok i had the tool open too, but didnt click the tiny cant see image icon, lol. thank you. but it grabbed the background too, and i dont see how to change the size in the window. And it does not follow the videos at all, lol. its late going to bed, will try again tomorrow thank you.

Attachments:
gimp transform.JPG
gimp transform.JPG [ 229.21 KiB | Viewed 2753 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:38 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

For Gimp-2.8 it looks a bit different than the Mahvin dump (for Gimp-2.10 ;) )

Attachments:
Scale Image or Layer .png
Scale Image or Layer .png [ 39.03 KiB | Viewed 2747 times ]

Slava
Ukraini!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:03 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

In this situation I would personally use Layer/Scale Layer.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:11 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

MareroQ wrote:

Thank you, so use 'selection'

I still get that transform pop up window and not that little window you show where you just type in the size. Im so frustrated now. apparently gimp learning gimp is not intuitive at all. Why does it give that big transform window first instead of a simple window like you show where you could just click advance if you wanted the other one. Yeah, i have been telling everyone to get gimp and support them im not doing that any longer. this should be a very simple task. ive now spent 2 days and i still cant resize anything!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:15 am  (#8) 
Global Moderator

Wait up. Send me your xcf file. Tell me what you’re trying to accomplish, exactly. You’re using an older version of GIMP and only getting bits and pieces when I suspect each of us is thinking different approaches not knowing exactly what you are trying to do.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:16 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/GIMP_Qui ... mage-scale

Why does every tut on this say to use scale image but it doesnt work.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:22 am  (#10) 
Global Moderator

I’m not in front of your computer to see what the problem can be, so usually, we have the user provide the file they’re working on, to see what we’re not seeing, that you’re having a problem with. It’s often something simple.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:24 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

mahvin wrote:
Wait up. Send me your xcf file. Tell me what you’re trying to accomplish, exactly. You’re using an older version of GIMP and only getting bits and pieces when I suspect each of us is thinking different approaches not knowing exactly what you are trying to do.

no, my gimp is the one that just came out this month. lol. sorry im just so frustrated now. i have to do it myself or its pointless. I have a lot of things to resize to fit. If i cant do something so simple in gimp then i need to move on to some of the other software i have on my machine, even going back to the ms photoshop, lol.

I know gimp resizes, i do not want to drag handles, i want to input the digits and get it exact. I can do that easily with brushes, so why not imported .png images? i mean really this is not rocket science nor flying wing science. sorry.. if i could find a tutorial that actually worked .. .. ok rant over, lol sorry, lol, im 70 and i dont have much patience just now due to life, i used to love working in graphic programs.. they relaxed me, and was fun to just play lol.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:32 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Now my gimp is stuck in transforming, its just vegged out again. Usually when gimp vegges out i have to shut my system down as it cannot recover from it.

win10 the very newest update.

I open gimp, then i start a new file, that is 10.5 inches by 8.5 inches. i think thats the size. I color the first layer with white, then i open a .png image and copy past it to the first project as a new layer. Then i select it and want to resize it.

image resize does nothing to it, and the transform selection doesnt give me that little window to imput the numbers just the big transform window i showed in the image. and now it glitched out.

do you need more information?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:34 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

iti wrote:
MareroQ wrote:

I still get that transform pop up window and not that little window you show where you just type in the size.

As I said, try Layer/Scale Layer instead of the tool you are using.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:43 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

mahvin wrote:
I’m not in front of your computer to see what the problem can be, so usually, we have the user provide the file they’re working on, to see what we’re not seeing, that you’re having a problem with. It’s often something simple.

I agree, lol. i just closed gimp without restarting my pc, yay! ill get the file now..

I appologize for not having any patience, the virus, and i had to go to the big city 3 times where no one is wearing a mask even though the vets says no entrance without one. But i had to take the cat in, anyway. He ended up getting his eye removed due to a tiny tumor. Its just been too much and caught up with me in gimp! ;)

Attachments:
resize image.xcf [4.17 MiB]
Downloaded 68 times
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:46 am  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

Erisian wrote:
iti wrote:
MareroQ wrote:

I still get that transform pop up window and not that little window you show where you just type in the size.

As I said, try Layer/Scale Layer instead of the tool you are using.

I had not seen your post yet, and was responding to another post, thank you will try this too, its the only one i havent tried lol. But i still need the transform to give me that nice little window to input the simple size of x by x.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:56 am  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

Your layer needed to be centered after resizing. Unfortunately I cannot post it here because the max. attachment size is 6 MiB. Resize the layer using Layer/Scale layer, then use the alignment tool to center it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:12 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

Erisian wrote:
Your layer needed to be centered after resizing. Unfortunately I cannot post it here because the max. attachment size is 6 MiB. Resize the layer using Layer/Scale layer, then use the alignment tool to center it.

[ Image ]

Ok will try that, thank you. I have not used those tools, but will find them. I watched someone using them in the tutorial i watched. lol. Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:31 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

Back in post no.4 OP is using the Unified Transform tool. That came in with Gimp 2.10 so not Gimp 2.8

Worth using this tool, all transforms can be made without intermediate interpolation for hopefully best quality.

This a 2 minute video of the basics. https://youtu.be/4L7uSWPNSDQ

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:39 pm  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

Erisian wrote:

[ Image ]

I got the image resized but cannot find the tools to center it, or move to the left right etc. I apparently have a very special gimp! My tools window dont look like everyones either, in my old gimp they did, but the tools window now only has two lines in it, and 16 tools. I cant find any way to center the image in the layer. but i got it resized lol. thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:44 pm  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

here is a pic of my tools window, how do i get all the other tools back? stamps? etc ?

Attachments:
tools.JPG
tools.JPG [ 32.33 KiB | Viewed 2530 times ]