It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DESELECT !!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:05 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.10.20
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: Newest update this month
GIMP Experience: New User

Attachment:
gmp crap.JPG
gmp crap.JPG [ 83.2 KiB | Viewed 4421 times ]
I am so tired of gimp. I cant deselect this stupid little crop box!

Online it says, 'just click elswhere and you wont have anything selected' . not.

Everything in gimp is harder to do or use than any other graphics program i have used. gimp used to be the best software. but now? yeah.. Its as if you just want to hide everything in some secret place. I mean, just to deselect? come on.

And why does this chat here change the gimp version im using when i upload a pic and then i have to go back and change it to the correct version? That is confussing. I mean if i dont rem to change it..

thank you

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: DESELECT !!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:11 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

To remove the selection I would just right click on the canvas and then 'select>none' from the menu.

Respect should be offered freely but hard earned

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:31 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Are you kidding? GIMP it's easy, compare to Photoshop or other programs. Don't get desperate, don't try to run if you don't know how to walk yet! Like any other program it will take how much time you spend using it.
Like OMG wrote: Click the Select menu at the top then select "None" to clear the selected area in the document. **If you prefer to use keyboard shortcuts, press "Ctrl," "Shift" and "A" to apply the "None" option. Have a good day!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:20 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Pocholo wrote:
Are you kidding? GIMP it's easy, compare to Photoshop or other programs. Don't get desperate, don't try to run if you don't know how to walk yet! Like any other program it will take how much time you spend using it.
Like OMG wrote: Click the Select menu at the top then select "None" to clear the selected area in the document. **If you prefer to use keyboard shortcuts, press "Ctrl," "Shift" and "A" to apply the "None" option. Have a good day!

Of course i tried this, it didnt work either, nothing worked. even using the crop tool again it reselected that tiny area and wouldnt allow me to enlarge it, or do anything with it. i did click elsewhere, and nada. same thing. I dont think i still have that file. I wasnt thinking i should have uploaded it so you all could play with it. lol.

I tried invert too, and then none, only thing that wasnt greyed out was all and invert. I tried them too, thinking if it worked i could just undo it and hopefully the selection would be gone. I managed to make the area smaller in one of my tries, but it was still there.

lol. I havent used photoshop for some time, but i could certainly deselect in it. lol.

The old photodraw, from win xp software, does all of this, and its so easy to use, but its old and using it in win 10 has its challenges. lol. like just when you are finished with your composition, it shuts down. =) is funny. That just started happening with the last 3 insider updates to win10. Before that? yeah i loved it.

Oh photdraw does not have paths, though. but other graphics programs do. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:21 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

oldmangrumpy wrote:
To remove the selection I would just right click on the canvas and then 'select>none' from the menu.

Hm i think this is what i tried to do, but that selection remained ... Thank you very much. now i wonder if i left clicked instead of right clicked. shoot ..

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:24 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Maybe it's not a selection. When you select any other layer, do you see it? If not, then try: Right click the layer that is showing it and select the option, "Layer to image size"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:04 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

i never had a problem with selection & deselection in gimp, it might be that your gimp program is corrupt or something idk.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:13 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

JayyTT wrote:
i never had a problem with selection & deselection in gimp, it might be that your gimp program is corrupt or something idk.

i wondered the same thing, over several different issues if had since downloading the one from last month. i dont know i just copied the layer and deleted the old one.

Thank you =)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:47 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

iti wrote:
JayyTT wrote:

i wondered the same thing, over several different issues if had since downloading the one from last month. i dont know i just copied the layer and deleted the old one.

Thank you =)

Don't blame Gimp. It is just beginner lack of knowledge, same as most things knowledge comes with use.

Attachment:
layerboundary.jpg
layerboundary.jpg [ 105.21 KiB | Viewed 4360 times ]

Yellow border is a layer boundary
White border is a selection
---------------
Just a note about your world map. Check the size in pixels of the original image against the 10.5" x 8.25" @ 300 ppi size that you wanted in an earlier post. If the ratio is more than 2 or 3 then sharpening is not going to help. You need to start off with a better map.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:34 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

To see if it is a selection, or not, try hiding the selection's "walking ants"! (think it's Ctrl-T in most GIMPs, or if that was my personalized entry, don't remember, been years) A layer border will stay behind, but the selection border will be invisible.
Remember to show selections again, though, or you might wonder why there is no selection when trying to select something the next time.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:47 am  (#11) 
Script Coder

Pocholo wrote:
Maybe it's not a selection. When you select any other layer, do you see it? If not, then try: Right click the layer that is showing it and select the option, "Layer to image size"

My idea too. If it's a selection, the dots move. If they don't, it's just a layer boundary.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:48 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

As mentioned already, those yellow "ants" indicate the boundary-size of the current layer (not the current selection).

Contrary to other popular programs in the genre, Gimp does NOT handle automatically the boundary-size of the layers. Instead it provides commands to handle them manually:

• Layer -> Layer Boundary Size...
• Layer -> Layer to Image Size
• Layer -> Scale Layer...
• Layer -> Crop to Selection
• Layer -> Crop to Content

For example, try loading a jpg as the background layer, then create a new transparent layer on top of it. The boundary-size of that layer gets auto-set to the size of the current canvas. Now, try to paint something in the middle of the transparent layer (say just a small brush stroke, or whatever).

Most other programs would auto-adjust the boundary-size of the layer to just the size of the visible content (the small brush stroke). In Gimp however, the boundary-size remains unchanged. So for example, if you now try to align the brush stroke to the top-left corner of the background layer below it, using the Align tool, you will see that you cannot.

That's because both layers have the same boundary-size (the whole canvas).

To successfully make that alignment, you should first select the brush-stroke layer, and then go to Layer -> Crop to Content. This will set the layer boundary-size to just the size of the brush-stroke. You can now align it.

The boundary-size indicator (the yellow ants) is On by default, you can toggle it On and Off via:
• View -> Show Layer Boundary

For the white selection marching-ants, the corresponding command is:
• View -> Show Selection

So, in short, "Select -> None" does work, but only for the current selection (not the current boundary-size). To change the boundary size you can use any of the commands I mentioend above.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:23 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

rich2005 wrote:
iti wrote:
JayyTT wrote:

Thank you =)

Don't blame Gimp. It is just beginner lack of knowledge, same as most things knowledge comes with use.

Attachment:
layerboundary.jpg

yeah i get it. but there was no miniscule layer hiding anyplace. It only showed on this layer. and when i deleted, i was good to go.

This new gimp from june has crashed on me several times. I probably need to clean gimp off and start over. But there is so much to delete and then add in again. Hate to take the time.
I did sharpen the map, just fine thank you.

---------------
Just a note about your world map. Check the size in pixels of the original image against the 10.5" x 8.25" @ 300 ppi size that you wanted in an earlier post. If the ratio is more than 2 or 3 then sharpening is not going to help. You need to start off with a better map.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:29 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

migf1 wrote:
As mentioned already, those yellow "ants" indicate the boundary-size of the current layer (not the current selection).

Contrary to other popular programs in the genre, Gimp does NOT handle automatically the boundary-size of the layers. Instead it provides commands to handle them manually:

• Layer -> Layer Boundary Size...
• Layer -> Layer to Image Size
• Layer -> Scale Layer...
• Layer -> Crop to Selection
• Layer -> Crop to Content

For example, try loading a jpg as the background layer, then create a new transparent layer on top of it. The boundary-size of that layer gets auto-set to the size of the current canvas. Now, try to paint something in the middle of the transparent layer (say just a small brush stroke, or whatever).

Most other programs would auto-adjust the boundary-size of the layer to just the size of the visible content (the small brush stroke). In Gimp however, the boundary-size remains unchanged. So for example, if you now try to align the brush stroke to the top-left corner of the background layer below it, using the Align tool, you will see that you cannot.

That's because both layers have the same boundary-size (the whole canvas).

To successfully make that alignment, you should first select the brush-stroke layer, and then go to Layer -> Crop to Content. This will set the layer boundary-size to just the size of the brush-stroke. You can now align it.

The boundary-size indicator (the yellow ants) is On by default, you can toggle it On and Off via:
• View -> Show Layer Boundary

For the white selection marching-ants, the corresponding command is:
• View -> Show Selection

So, in short, "Select -> None" does work, but only for the current selection (not the current boundary-size). To change the boundary size you can use any of the commands I mentioend above.

Thank you for this!!!!!!!

Makes perfect sense of course. Yes i have been inverting and deleting, instead of crop to content. I did figure out the crop to content, in my last go around, but it wasnt instinct. Just trial and erro. ;) thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:39 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

rich2005 wrote:
iti wrote:
JayyTT wrote:

Thank you =)

Attachment:
layerboundary.jpg

---------------

thank you. Yes i noticed this too. yet could not find the layer if it was just its own layer. I could click on it as pictured above, and i even was able to make it smaller, to just one box instead of the 4 corners. But i couldnt get rid of it, even deleting, er cutting it.

I am not blaming gimp, i said gimp is more complicated then it needs to be. I said i couldnt figure it out, hence i came here for HELP! yet i finally did just delete the layer and be done with the drama.

I was able to sharpen the man considerably, thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:56 pm  (#16) 
Global Moderator

That’s what we’re here for, to help.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:21 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

mahvin wrote:
That’s what we’re here for, to help.

=) Thank you :jumpclap

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:52 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

iti wrote:
JayyTT wrote:

Thank you =)

your welcome ;)