It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gimp curves import
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:57 am  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: Win 10 64bit
GIMP Experience: New User

Trying to import some presets I've found on the board but Gimp literaly does nothing when I import. I look back at manage presets and there is nothing. If I put the presets in the gimp-curves-tool file, when I exit Gimp it resets the file. New and lost.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Gimp curves import
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:30 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

kdcaseycole, speaking as a perpetual newbie myself, if memory serves, when I did this it was a pretty tedious operation as I had to put the presets in a usable folder [yourname/AppData/Roaming/curves] and then load an individual preset [just to see what it does] and then save the preset by naming it again so it will show up in the menu the next time I might want to use it. This was a couple of years ago under GIMP 2.8 and I was a newbie, but I haven't bothered with it since that time and I don't believe I kept any of the presets for regular use.

On the web you will find a lot of very tempting sounding and looking scripts and plugins and hints and procedures but, unfortunately, a great many of them just don't work at all any more. For example, there is a huge Script-Fu collection you may come across -- it was still listed as one of the Ten Best GIMP Resources as recently as last December, but, after scrambling your menus, almost nothing else in the set works. You can find many updated versions of those scripts that DO work with 2.10.20 at gimphelp.org.

Not to throw water on the new-resource parade. You can learn from anything you do, even if it doesn't quite work out the way you want.

Post subject: Re: Gimp curves import
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:07 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Are we talking about curve presets or something else? Been some time since curves came up ;)

Quote:
....import some presets I've found on the board but Gimp literaly does nothing when I import. I look back at manage presets and there is nothing. If I put the presets in the gimp-curves-tool file...

Is this a xxxxxxx.settings file ?

Are you really using Gimp 2.8 ?
Look for the file gimp-curves-tool.settings in the Gimp user profile tool-options folder along with lots of 'some-name'-tool files

For Gimp 2.10
gimp-curves-tool.settings has a new name GimpCurvesConfig.settings and that goes in the filters folder.

The actual file is inter-changeable only the file name changes depending on Gimp version. This in linux but the same in Windows. Same file different name / different folder.

Attachment:
settings-file.jpg
settings-file.jpg [ 175.34 KiB | Viewed 2625 times ]

Just out of interest, where did you get the file(s)

---------------
Then there are single curve files. No easy way that I know other than open each in turn using "Import Current Settings From File" (that is the little left pointing arrow to of the curves tool) Then it is "Save the current settings as a named preset" Each time you do that it adds the curve to that xxxxx.settings file. That then depends on the Gimp version. What is the Curves folder for? That keeps those pesky last used values curve_yyyy_mm_dd_hours--etc