It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GIMP fails to Canoscan 8800F with no Windows 10 driver
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:42 am  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.10
Operating System: Windows 10
GIMP Experience: New User

List any ERROR messages you received:
Scangear: The necessary file could be missing or damaged or some settings are incorrect. Reinstall the scanner driver.
Code: 70.257.0

Fairly new to both GIMP and the Canoscan 8800F scanner... and brand new to GIMPCHAT, for that matter. I just updated GIMP to 2.10 today. I never tried this with an older version of GIMP. I have had the scanner installed and working fine with other photo editing software (Arcsoft Photostudio), but GIMP cannot communicate with the scanner. The error message above calls out a driver issue. Canon did not make a Windows 10 version of the 8800F Twain driver. Following online forum advice for this same "no Windows 10 driver" issue I downloaded the Canon Windows 8.1 64 bit version of the scanner driver and installed in compatibility mode on my Windows 10 laptop. That's what Arcsoft Photostudio is using and it works just fine. I also just installed NAPS2 and thought that may have changed the driver. It did not. I verified that the Windows 8.1 64 bit driver version is 13.0.5 and what is installed and verified via properties for the scanner is 13.0.5.56... same. NAPS2 scans just fine, too. Now both the Arcsoft Photostudio and the NAPS2 apps bring up Canon Scangear when you select the 8800F as the source. I don't understand if Scangear is part of the driver or an intermediary program, but both of these working programs open Scangear and that is the user interface to the scanner. The error message I posted above has "Scangear" on the top/first line of the error message. Sure would like to have GIMP scan photos in directly from the 8800F. Any idea what the problem might be here?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: GIMP fails to Canoscan 8800F with no Windows 10 driver
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:46 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

https://www.canon-europe.com/support/co ... %20(64-bit)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:25 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

There is an on-going saga with the Gimp 2.10 TWAIN plugin. Basically it is old and 32 bit.

You can try some of the suggestions here: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/4210 One is use a twain.exe (32 bit) from Gimp 2.8 so I will attach one of those (zipped) It looks like the only drivers from Canon are 32 bit anyway so no problems there.

Bottom line: If you go to File -> Create -> Scanner and if the pop-up is blank, then you are sunk.

Attachment:
sunk.jpg
sunk.jpg [ 50.31 KiB | Viewed 3007 times ]

As a note, I have an even older Canon scanner, a LIDE 30 Canon stopped making Windows drivers for it after Vista. No way it will work with Win10. I can not even give it away, I have tried. USB powered, plug it into my linux kubuntu 18.04 machine / Gimp 2.10.20 Works fine :)

Attachments:
twain.zip [21.9 KiB]
Downloaded 97 times

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:33 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

There is a program called Vue Scan that not only handles many more scanners, but also adds many new functions to the scanner that is astonishing. It is not free, but worth it. you can download the full version to try (with watermarks), on your computer. If you like it, you can buy a license of search the web for a free copy.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:47 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Vuescan is a great utility, but it is expensive $50 for basic and $100 if you want to scan negatives.

If you can partition / install linux /dual boot your computer then Gimp and the SANE plugin has support. Might take a bit of your time but is free.

Attachment:
8800F.jpg
8800F.jpg [ 146.15 KiB | Viewed 2936 times ]