It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Some Font Families Not Recognized By GIMP
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:29 pm  (#1) 
Global Moderator

GIMP Version: 2.10.20
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: 10
GIMP Experience: Experienced User

List any ERROR messages you received:
GIMP does not display some font families.

This is not a request for help as much as it is a warning to GIMP users who notice that some of their fonts aren't displaying correctly within GIMP. I've searched high and wide for an answer, enlisted the help of some of my big tech friends, asked a few GIMP gurus, and read post after post of FONT issues online. None of those actually helped me. However, a typographer from Amsterdam discovered that for "whatever reason" some font families weren't being allowed to display correctly. Usually only the first registered font was allowed to display, but the other classes in the family were not, like italic, bold, or both, and so on. The solution? Separate the classes, remove the family style connection, and re-generate the font by adding the class to the name (san serif bold, etc.). That is how I solved my font display issue. However, no one I talked to within and outside of GIMP seemed to think the problem was with GIMP. I say BS. It's ironic that fielding a bug issue tends to offend some people these days and that I find extremely troubling. A bug is a bug.

GIMP is perfect? Uh, no...

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Some Font Families Not Recognized By GIMP
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:29 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

What do you mean by adding the class to the name?
Editing the fontname in font editor or simply renaming the file?

I think this concerns only Windows OS.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:41 pm  (#3) 
Global Moderator

Nidhogg wrote:
What do you mean by adding the class to the name?
Editing the fontname in font editor or simply renaming the file?

I think this concerns only Windows OS.

Possibly, only Windows. I have several fonts, for example, Stradas is one of them. Stradas has 3 class styles (Solid, Outline, and Inline). It also has a webfont style for CSS, but I don't care for that and didn't upload it. If I click and upload all 3 fonts for Stradas, GIMP recognizes the first one, and ignores the other 2. They display as a generic serif style font, while Stradas Solid displays as it should.

When you create fonts, you usually have 3 naming options, one being FAMILY, the next being STYLE, and then any subset variation you might create. Most fonts only group FAMILY and STYLE together. To answer your question, in the editor, you open the font, and within TTF Names you delete the style completely and add the style to the FAMILY name. This disconnects the fonts from being grouped together, and when you re-generate it, you'll know what class it is because you moved the class to the name. Example: Stradas_Outline. Now GIMP displays it correctly.

Before the changes:

After deleting the styles and renaming font:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:29 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Well I have to take back that presumption, it's not just Windows....Gotham displays only regular and bold, not book, thin or ultra.
Have to check other families later, but it seems the shareware fonts I have brought from my work machine display right.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:55 pm  (#5) 
Script Coder

I think there's a reasonable chance that the issue you've just raised will get closed as a duplicate of https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/4070 or https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/1228 or maybe https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/2084

( I searched "families" on the issue tracker: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/i ... h=families )

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:11 pm  (#6) 
Global Moderator

Possibly, I checked for families/font/font family/ and numerous other search queries and never saw this.

At least, I know how to get these fonts to work correctly.

BTW, after seeing how many years ago the first issue report was made (5 years ago), I just closed my report and posted my solution in the comments of the last issue report (2 years ago).