It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trouble printing the correct size
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:32 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.10.20.1
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: New User

I'm having trouble getting GIMP to print out the same size it shows on the screen. I've got a simple US Letter size page setup at 300dpi and filled with White. I bring in a small jpg image on a new layer and scale it to 7 inches wide. The rulers on the screen show it as 7 inches wide. I print it on my Epson WF7720 with current drivers and the image is 6.5 inches wide. What am I overlooking?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Trouble printing the correct size
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:04 am  (#2) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
vanwilliam wrote:
GIMP Version: 2.10.20.1
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: New User

I'm having trouble getting GIMP to print out the same size it shows on the screen. I've got a simple US Letter size page setup at 300dpi and filled with White. I bring in a small jpg image on a new layer and scale it to 7 inches wide. The rulers on the screen show it as 7 inches wide. I print it on my Epson WF7720 with current drivers and the image is 6.5 inches wide. What am I overlooking?

Seems like you did it correctly.
Some printers use a boarder outside of the image.
See if there is such a setting for making borderless prints.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:56 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks, It's nowhere near the margins

Attachments:
16013876225898192732702066054112.jpg
16013876225898192732702066054112.jpg [ 2.65 MiB | Viewed 4139 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:36 am  (#4) 
Global Moderator

Are you removing the margins that come pre-set within the printer's page settings?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:21 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

I'm not certain what you mean. If I click page setup in Gimp, the margins are 0.25"all the way around.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:58 pm  (#6) 
Global Moderator

vanwilliam wrote:
I'm not certain what you mean. If I click page setup in Gimp, the margins are 0.25"all the way around.

My Epson printer has a "hidden" margin of .26 (by hidden, I mean that it's factored into the print to avoid printing on the edges of the paper. The only thing that I can do to resolve that margin is check the toggle "Ignore edge margins", in order to print a real size 8 x 10 image. Otherwise, my 8 x 10 is actually 7.5 by 9.75'ish.

So, when using GIMP, make sure your printer isn't preventing you from using the as much of the paper you wish to, that is, if it allows you to turn off the edge margins. Different printer brands have different settings or lack certain settings.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:20 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

mahvin wrote:
vanwilliam wrote:

My Epson printer has a "hidden" margin of .26 (by hidden, I mean that it's factored into the print to avoid printing on the edges of the paper. The only thing that I can do to resolve that margin is check the toggle "Ignore edge margins", in order to print a real size 8 x 10 image. Otherwise, my 8 x 10 is actually 7.5 by 9.75'ish.

So, when using GIMP, make sure your printer isn't preventing you from using the as much of the paper you wish to, that is, if it allows you to turn off the edge margins. Different printer brands have different settings or lack certain settings.

Thanks, I had to search for that option. On my Gimp print screen, the checkbox is almost off the bottom of the window and I can't scroll down to it. Fortunately, there was just enough that I could click it.