It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: dialogs won't dock
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:33 pm  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.10.20
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: 10
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level
URL or Image link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK410n_wIMs

this is maddening. i can't get any help elsewhere so hopefully someone here can get me out of this hell.

did a fresh install and the feature just doesn't work. see the video linked above.

i've tried Google but either my Google-fu is failing me or there's some idiotic thing i'm overlooking that no one else on the planet has before because zero people seem to have this problem in the history of the program.

all i'm trying to do is get three dialogs on the right (layers on top, colors in the middle, tool options on the bottom) and a single column of the tools on the left. i can get the tools just fine, but dialogs as a whole seem to be unable to dock at all regardless of the version of the program i'm using (same thing happens in 2.8.XX). no matter where i try to drop any dialog, at any time, it fails and stays in it's own separate window and cannot be docked again. anywhere. and, yes, i'm clicking the tab and not the window. again, see video.

i can add dialogs to existing docks via the button to the right of the dialog tabs (that little triangle one) but when i remove or try to reposition any dialog that's docked, it detaches and stays that way. it won't dock again unless i add it via the button i mentioned before. no matter what. i'm at a complete loss. i've used GIMP for over 10 years and do commissions on the reg. but i did a clean install of Windows 10 this past spring and have had this problem ever since. this is driving me up the wall. i'm going out of my mind. any help is appreciated.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: dialogs won't dock
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:44 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Everything as Rich2005 showed with an additional tip:
You have to drop the new dock onto the narrow bar - it will change color when it's active.

Attachments:
Add dock.gif
Add dock.gif [ 8.48 KiB | Viewed 5067 times ]

Slava
Ukraini!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:15 am  (#3) 

i'm doing that. trust me. there's no color change. while dragging into the other tabs, the blue line, anywhere. i've tried changing my resolution, theme, version number, and a million other things that i'm too annoyed to type out. i don't mean to sound like an ass, but this isn't operator error. i'm doing all of this correctly but the program simply is not working as intended. Rich2005 has been a saint and a half but i don't think this is a method thing. i think something is on the backend and is preventing this. a setting or something. any ideas?

again, i don't want you to think i'm throwing your help (which is greatly appreciated) back at you, but i'm performing all of these things correctly. i'm doing things the same way as anyone else would. it is some setting or something going on with the program.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:28 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Maybe the reason is different - but You don't move the open dock (like in your video) - only the icon - and only to this only place.

Attachments:
3xdock.png
3xdock.png [ 75.22 KiB | Viewed 4975 times ]

Slava
Ukraini!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:56 pm  (#5) 

i guess i'm confused by what you mean. i can open a dockable dialog via the Windows > Diockable Dialogs > and chose anything. that will open the dialog in an already existing dock (next to layers or colors or anything). i can detach that tab via the dock menu (little triangle next to the tab) or drag it out of the dock. past that point, it can't dock again, anywhere, existing dock or not. not as a new tab in an existing dock, not below an existing dock, not below tools, not beside an existing dock. nowhere. here's a video https://youtu.be/2YCXGlR6TS0

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:34 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

I'm trying to say you may have misinterpreted the Rich2005 video - (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFvV6b2 ... e=youtu.be - 1.53 min at this point) click and drop the icon in the top dock. This (apart from editing the sesionrc file) is the only method of building more than two docks.

Slava
Ukraini!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:49 am  (#7) 

did you watch the video i posted in my most recent reply? https://youtu.be/2YCXGlR6TS0 what you're describing is exactly what i did and it doesn't show any color change or indication that the dialog is able to dock.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:45 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

There are no other ideas.
https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Chang ... 7#pid20187

...Oh never mind I figured it out--so apparently those are very "subtle" movements you have to make to create two boxed or dialogs or whatever you call them anchored on top of each other. You can also create additional ones. That's good--all these years I've been using Gimp I just never took the time to figure out how to do that!...

Maybe this is the reason - dragging the icon too fast?

Slava
Ukraini!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:12 pm  (#9) 
Global Moderator

Keep in mind, we're here to help you. I've watched your video several times and I do not see you actually trying to drag the dialog to a spot where there is a line that changes color (an indication that you can separate the dialog from the existing selections and create a break between the two) otherwise, you add that dialog to a row of other dialogs.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:17 am  (#10) 
Global Moderator

Have you checked out this thread? Sorry if it is not at all applicable
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15326

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:23 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

I think it is a hardware issue.
Obviously using a 4k monitor, probably 3840 x 2160 resolution. I looked at the video closely and while it is debatable about hitting the 'hot-spot' top of the docks, there is no way of missing the area under the tools (the bit that was labeled "you can drop dockable dialogues here" - removed by the Make-Gimp-Look-Like-PS lobby)

Attachment:
drag-n-drop.jpg
drag-n-drop.jpg [ 9.6 KiB | Viewed 3160 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:14 am  (#12) 
Global Moderator

rich2005 wrote:
I think it is a hardware issue.
Obviously using a 4k monitor, probably 3840 x 2160 resolution. I looked at the video closely and while it is debatable about hitting the 'hot-spot' top of the docks, there is no way of missing the area under the tools (the bit that was labeled "you can drop dockable dialogues here" - removed by the Make-Gimp-Look-Like-PS lobby)

Attachment:
drag-n-drop.jpg

Good eye. Which reminds me, I need new glasses.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:58 am  (#13) 

I have the same problem. I am certain it is a bug, not user error.

I have used Gimp a lot over the years, but always in Linux until now (I think).

I understand how the docked dialogs are supposed to work.

But now, using Windows (Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041) (GIMP 2.10.22), the dragged icon will not dock anywhere. I understand what I'm supposed to drag, and where I might drop it (normally).

But dropped anywhere, it becomes (or remains) an independent window.

I'm more than happy to provide logs or further system info etc if given instructions. I don't currently have a bootable Linux environment to check against.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:20 am  (#14) 
Global Moderator

This is for Windows. does it help? - it isn't a video
https://gimpnewby.blogspot.com/p/tool-set-up.html

Also, if you already have somehting in the place provided you may have to drag the box by the tab to the place you want it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:22 pm  (#15) 

[UPDATE!]

I think the PC updated overnight because I was logged out of my PC this morning.

I was busy filling in a bug report
I'm too new to post links, so /gimp/-/issues/6318 at GNOME's GitLab

And restarted GIMP to get the details exact.

And guess what - docks working the way they always used to. A bit annoying, because the Windows build number is the same.

Maybe it just needed a reboot rather than just restating GIMP...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:12 am  (#16) 
Global Moderator

Windows updates often mess things up (things that are not microsoft anyway). I rarely shut down my computer now because since the last update I have to log in to everything again when I am the only one using the computer and I htought that's what cookies were for!
I'm glad you got sorted