It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Warp & Scale a pattern
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:52 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

Hi all, hope you're healthy and happy wherever you are.

I need your help yet again, but please be kind as I would be to you if you needed my help (sorry, the last time I was here, someone decided I was dumb and let his thought go from inside his head to the tip of his fingers - lol).

Anyway, I know Gimp is not Photoshop and I've learned quite a lot already...but I am trying to render some of my sketches with a pattern e.g. fill a sketch of an item of clothing with a pattern, but I want to be able to manipulate (warp) the selected pattern in the same direction as the body. I also want to scale the pattern to the size of the selected area. These were all things I was able to do in Photoshop, but I haven't yet figured out how to do it in Gimp. Basically I need the patterns to look realistic. As you can see from the image, my attempts at dodge and burn to make it 3D haven't really achieved the desired effect - the pattern is still flat and not really wrapping around in the contorns of the body.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments:
Gimpscreenshot.jpg
Gimpscreenshot.jpg [ 333.78 KiB | Viewed 2922 times ]
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Warp & Scale a pattern
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:44 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

What you need to learn (which you can do in gimp) is to 'map' the pattern to the dress. I haven't learnt that myself yet but there are others here who know how. Ask how to map it to your dress. (Should keep your curves etc.)
www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

Have you seen this video?
Here is another one by one of our members here
www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

I think I did it with just the map - displace . With Gimp 2.10 and layers modes all the other stuff is included now (at least I think)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:09 pm  (#3) 
Global Moderator

Just a suggestion: I use software called Manikan. It basically allows me to position a body into any contortion I wish. For you, I suggest that you find yourself a template mannequin image, this mannequin will be simply to transpose your dress images over it, nothing else. Then you can create a second bump map to highlight the breasts, waist, and legs to "shape" the dress. Once you find the right mannequin image that suits you, then I can help you create the bump map for it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:17 am  (#4) 
Global Moderator

If you need to get a shape onto a flat figure, try a shaped gradient first. (play with them all until you find one you like) Preferably transparent to a colour other than the one your original picture is. If you have your darker colour to the outside that will help with shadows etc., and a pattern will not stick to white so I'd stay away from white.