It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Moving gimp files to a new Windows computer
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:34 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

I just got a new laptop and am getting multiple errors. Image

I installed 2.8 on the new computer and I saved the file from users\my name\gimp 2.8 and put it in the same location on the new computer.

Do I need to move some files from the program files?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Moving gimp files to a new Windows computer
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:10 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Best guess ;) Your old computer had a 32 bit Windows installation and the new compuer is 64 bit

I would start off with an up-to-date 64 bit gimp_gmic_qt installation then look for newer normalmap and resynthesizer plugins.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:29 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

both computers are 64-bit. I have installed the g'mic for 2.8 from the g'mic site (gmic_2.9.2_gimp2.8_win64) but am still getting the errors for it. I will look for the normalmap and resynth next.

thanks for replying

**edit**
I also added this subfolder as a recognized plug-in folder in the GIMP preferences

I went back to the old computer and replaced the files in bin that the errors indicated. I am now getting less errors but gimp will not open. so I will uninstall, then reinstall gimp and lose my old settings, etc. It's not worth all this trouble.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:26 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Probably too late now but there is no need to uninstall Gimp. The problem lies in the Gimp user profile which remains between install, so any problems also remain.

Get rid of the Gimp profile folder C:\Users\"yourname"\.gimp-2.8 Run Gimp and it creates an new default profile with empty folders.

Add your plugins testing as you add them: https://i.imgur.com/1OITFIU.jpg

Several of the errors in your screenshot come from the normalmap plug. Looks like 32 bit is all you get even if it comes in a "for-win-64.zip" normalmap.exe glew32.dll libgdkglext-win32-1.0-0.dll libgtkglext-win32-1.0-0.dll

Othewise, gimp_gmic_qt / resynthesize + python plugins, all working: https://i.imgur.com/A2gxcAC.jpg

Nothing wrong with Gimp 2.8 but you should consider updating to Gimp 2.10

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:06 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

thanks. I gave up the other day and hadn't gone back to fix it, so I just made the new users file. I will only add things like patterns and brushes, and work on the scripts one at a time.

I haven't tried the newer version because I didn't want to lose the functionality of any of the scripts or plugins, but maybe I will reconsider.

Thank you

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:56 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

If you add a portable version of Gimp 2.10, you can have both programs. Than you can add plugins to the new version to see if they work. I recommend Samj portable version, it' all I use.

Download:
http://www.aljacom.com/~gimp/Gimp-2.10. ... -Win-V2.7z