It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Scale tool giving me hell
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:26 pm  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.10.22
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: 10
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

Hi. I am trying to scale a selection of a layer so parts of it align with guide dots in another layer. Most of the first layer is transparent. A small area in the center has color data and the layer is in legacy Dodge mode.

I select my layer, then get the Fuzzy Select Tool and put it in the "replace current selection" mode. I click in a transparent part of the layer, then invert the selection. Now, all pixels with color data are selected and the selection is near the center of the image.

Then I choose the Scale tool. I make sure it is in Selection mode and click in my selection. At this point one of a handful of weird things happens. Either the Scale Frame starts at the top of the selection, hugs either side of it, then drops down to the bottom of the image; or the Scale frame starts at the top of the selection, extends to either side of the whole image and down to the bottom; or it starts at the right edge of the selection, extends to the top and bottom of the image and then out to the left edge of the image. The selection is far too large to scale the detail I need!

Either way, if I grab one of the handles of the frame and move it, the "marching ants" resize themselves,
but when I click the Scale button, the colored pixels themselves do not move, though the dancing ants do.

Changing the layer mode from Dodge (legacy) to Normal (legacy) shows all the pixels with color data. It looks like no color data has moved.

To confirm this, I take the Fuzzy Select Tool again, in "replace current selection" mode, and click an area outside the new marching ants. Only the colored pixels are selected so the Scale Tool has truly moved no color data to new pixels.

What gives? I've looked everywhere for something I have done to cause this but I can't find anything. I sure would be grateful for any help. This is crippling me since I need to be able to scale parts of images I work with.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Scale tool giving me hell
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:40 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Oona wrote:
GIMP Version: 2.10.22
Then I choose the Scale tool. I make sure it is in Selection mode

I think there is a misunderstanding as to what a selection is. The selection is just like a fence that encloses some pixels, indicated by moving ants. It does not include the pixels themselves. So putting the scale tool in selection mode just moves the selection (moving ants) and not the pixels within. Leave the scale tool in Layer mode.

The way I work:
Make a selection.
“Edit > Copy” (or Ctrl-C)
“Edit > Paste” (or Ctrl-V)
You now get a “floating selection” in the layers dialogue. Right click that select “To new layer”
Scale this new layer with scale tool in Layer mode.

Post subject: Re: Scale tool giving me hell
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:00 am  (#3) 

Thanks so much for explaining that, Blighty II. You were so helpful! Sorry for the late reply, work got crazy and held me up. I would be grateful if anyone would tell me how to scale things that are such a small part of the total layer that we have to zoom in past the center point of the layer, so we can't tug to scale in the direction we need.

In my original example, the part I need to scale is above the center of the image. When i zoom in as close as I need to be in order to work, it's difficult to be able tug DOWN to enlarge, which is part of what I need to do.

Is there a way to scale just the part of a layer we designate?

Never mind. The "Readjust" feature does that.