It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2024 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Creating text (layer?) presets/profile?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:34 am  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.10
Operating System: Linux
OS Version: Mint
GIMP Experience: New User

Hey GIMP community, I am fairly new to GIMP but I might already have a rare question. Trying to process my photos from different countries and I'd like to add a text (name of the particular place and country) to the bottom right corner of all pictures. As much as I can I'd like to have this text in exact same spot with pretty much same settings (font, size, location) that I'd always need just to type the name of the place.
I've wondered if there are some sort 'presets' or profiles available in GIMP as they are, let's say, in RawTherapee for example?
Second solution, if I am not mistaken, could be creating a text "layer" with a text box and transparent background which I'd save as a project and could always add later on?
Or is there any other way I am not aware, yet? Thanks a lot for any advice.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Creating text (layer?) presets/profile?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:57 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Yes, you can do it, as long if you don't resize the layer, do a "Layer to image size" or "Export" the file as jpeg/png, you will have that Text layer box wherever you place it. Now, if by any chance you resize or do Layer to image size, if you click the Text layer, GIMP will prompt you to Edit the text or Create a new. Hopefully that answer your question.

P.s. Make sure you save the work as xcf. This is the GIMP native file.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:50 am  (#3) 

So I created a "New layer group" with a text layer and transparent background and saved it as xcf file.
Then I opened a photo, which has different resolution than initial text layer, and tried to cahnge the resolution with "Layer to image size" and that's where I get stuck because nothing happens.
If I have separate transparent layer and text layer then I can scale "Layer to image size" but, of course, the text layer isn't in my desired spot. Any help with that?

Yes, you can do it, as long if you don't resize the layer, do a "Layer to image size" or "Export" the file as jpeg/png, you will have that Text layer box wherever you place it. Now, if by any chance you resize or do Layer to image size, if you click the Text layer, GIMP will prompt you to Edit the text or Create a new. Hopefully that answer your question.

P.s. Make sure you save the work as xcf. This is the GIMP native file.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:57 am  (#4) 
Global Moderator

Maybe do your text layer over your picture where you want it. It will be a separate layer until you merge the layers together. Text layers also have a transparent background by default.

There used to be a script to do what your asking for but I don't know if it has been made available for 2.10 gimp yet.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:32 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:
... tried to cahnge the resolution with "Layer to image size" and that's where I get stuck because nothing happens.

Something might have happened, just not what you expected, that moves the layer boundary but does not scale the image.

Quote:
..then I can scale "Layer to image size" but, of course, the text layer isn't in my desired spot.

Don't understand that statement.

As sallyanne said there are scripts / plugins to scale a layer to canvas size. A python plugin attached (unzip, put in your user plug-ins folder). It does scale up or down

Might go like this: https://i.imgur.com/UnOTPNM.mp4

Of course a lot depends on the aspect ratio of the original photographs. Always a chance of introducing a border unless parts are cropped off. Another way might be pre-process the photographs using a batch tool such as BIMP in gimp https://alessandrofrancesconi.it/projects/bimp/ ( linux version https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-BIMP-version-2-5 ) or a command line program such as ImageMagick. Get everything the same size

Attachments:
layer-to-image-size.zip [622 Bytes]
Downloaded 99 times

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:57 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

If You have Python2 installed then another solution might be to use Lineborder2 (load/save Profile)

Attachments:
LB-option.png
LB-option.png [ 24.54 KiB | Viewed 6078 times ]
LB2-T.png
LB2-T.png [ 44.49 KiB | Viewed 6078 times ]

Slava
Ukraini!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:28 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

MareroQ wrote:
If You have Python2 installed then another solution might be to use Lineborder2 (load/save Profile)

AFAIK this has GLADE as a dependency, needs some installation for Windows users.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:38 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

No. Gimp-2.10.22 (gimp.org & poratble Samj) in Windows in this case does not need to install additional dependencies (required are already installed).
You must install it for Gimp-2.8 (glade.pyd, libglade-2.0-0.dll, libxml2.dll).

Slava
Ukraini!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:37 am  (#9) 

"MareroQ" If You have Python2 installed then another solution might be to use Lineborder2...

Hey MareroQ, this looks slick and it seems to be exactly what I am looking for! However, I struggle a little to make it work. I am using Linux Mint 20.1 which is using Python3 instead of Python2. Whenever a place that Lineborder script either into plugin/script folder nothing happens after restart. I presume I should see Lineborder option somewhere in GIMP menu but no change there so I wonder if there is other way, I am not aware of, to get it running. I also guess that Python 2 and 3 are not compatible or is there anything obvious I am missing? Thanks a lot for your tips!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:30 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Mint 20 no python 2.7 therefore no Gimp python support.

A couple of options:

Use the Gimp 2.10.22 appimage which comes with python 2.7 pre-installed. https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-ap ... 4.AppImage 167 MB, download, make executable and run

A bit more hands on for a 'new user' see: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Heal- ... 4#pid18354

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:08 pm  (#11) 

I am back after a long time. I forgot to post back back then that I eventually got it going but it involved some tweaking and minor modifying of the script/plugin itself with a help of a friend of mine who is IT. It worked fine and it did the job I expected and wanted.
However, there's an EASIER solution I wasn't aware of. This particular function, watermark, is also part of BIMP plugin and it does exactly same job and you can also use its batch function which is handy too. So I wouldn't really bother trying to use Lineborder anymore, considering it's ten years old plugin using Python 2 and one has to fidle with it a little whilst the other one is already included in BIMP which is up to date.

Thanks a lot for all your help back then anyway! Appreciated.

Attachments:
File comment: BIMP watermark menu
Screenshot from 2022-02-06 21-17-07.png
Screenshot from 2022-02-06 21-17-07.png [ 24.41 KiB | Viewed 1910 times ]
File comment: BIMP main menu
Screenshot from 2022-02-06 21-16-25.png
Screenshot from 2022-02-06 21-16-25.png [ 32.6 KiB | Viewed 1910 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:15 pm  (#12) 
Global Moderator

Glad you have it worked out komiin but there is an easy solution in gimp itself. I have downloaded the 2.10.30 version and there is a scriptfu watermark in it still, Gives you 4 options of where to put your watermark and you can also keep it on a separate layer if you want to move it around furtherImage.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:31 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

... but it doesn't come with GIMP.
You have installed it some time from some extra packet, and it's still there after updates.

(Gimp 2.10 on Linux Mint MATE 20.1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:39 am  (#14) 
Global Moderator

nelo wrote:
... but it doesn't come with GIMP.
You have installed it some time from some extra packet, and it's still there after updates.

The 7 filters at the bottom of the script-fu menu I have not had before.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:10 pm  (#15) 

sallyanne wrote:
I have downloaded the 2.10.30 version and there is a scriptfu watermark in it still

I'm confused. @sallyanne has listed in her signature that she's running 2.10.36. So am I. I have also installed BIMP. I do not have the Script-Fu menu in the menubar that Sallyanne is illustrating. When I search in the script-fu console, there are no "watermark" scripts.

Does her post mean that I have to install 2.10.30 to get that menu to be able to access the watermark script-fu? That seems odd, unless she is saying that it's "still" there because it went away in later versions. (Or was her current version 2.10.30 when she made the post and her signature gets automatically updated when I see it now?)

How do I get to the BIMP console? It's clearly not the same as the script-fu console.

Obviously my GIMP/BIMP setup is still incomplete. What do I need to still do so that I can run a watermark script?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:00 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

Pixelitor can do this in batch and it has a water mark text mode.

Just go to "batch filter" text.