It is currently Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gimp's alignment tool is difficult to use, is there an alternative?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:36 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.10.20
Operating System: Linux
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

Hello, I made this thread because I am having difficulties getting Gimp's alignment tool to work and I noticed other image editors have the ability to move a selected image to any corner of the screen in a click of a button. Is there a alternative to this in Gimp? If not, does anyone have tips on how to work with this tool consistently?

By alternative I mean any GMIC command or Script Fu stuff. Please don't recommend using the move tool manually, as I need precision. Thanks.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Gimp's alignment tool is difficult to use, is there an alternative
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:35 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

You're going to need to explain what it is that isn't working. When using alignment are you using offsets or relative targets?

https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-tool-align.html

A video here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=17131#p235080

Additionally, Distribute options aren't completely in tune with relative objects, which is why offsets are used.

Post subject: Re: Gimp's alignment tool is difficult to use, is there an alternative
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:57 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

The tool is bugged in that you have to move the layer to be aligned to the top of the layer stack first, then align it then move it back where you want it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:18 pm  (#4) 
Global Moderator

Erisian wrote:
The tool is bugged in that you have to move the layer to be aligned to the top of the layer stack first, then align it then move it back where you want it.

That hasn't been my experience. I can "target" the object/layer I want to move, and then switch to the layer I wanted the target to move around on, and "distribute/align" the target with or without offsets.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:40 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Good tutorial:

http://clownfishcafe.blogspot.com/2014/ ... -GIMP.html

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:50 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

There is a plugin to paste at co-ordinates x, y but then you need to calculate the co-ordinates (apart from top-left 0,0) Then Ofnuts has a plugin to spread layers but not quite what is required.

Using the align tool is admittedly a PITA but not that difficult, just involves a lot of clicking ;)

@erisian " you have to move the layer to be aligned to the top of the layer stack first," Not absolutely necessary, toggle the layer visibility of the layer(s) you need to move.

example: https://i.imgur.com/MyjJwnM.mp4

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:44 pm  (#7) 
Global Moderator

I don't find the Alignment tool to be a PITA. It's very simple to use. Unless you're of the personality of requiring your life to be "one click only". (Something I find to be the characteristic of Type B personalities)

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

Two clicks.

Lions and tigers and bears, oh my.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:50 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

I might well be a Class B personality, thank you very much for that observation.
At least this personality knows what he is doing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:51 pm  (#9) 
Global Moderator

rich2005 wrote:
I might well be a Class B personality, thank you very much for that observation.

Did you see a problem with what was done with my presentation? Did it fail? Was it wrong?

Fight or flight?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:59 pm  (#10) 
Global Moderator

rich2005 wrote:

Very humbling statement there, Rich. I'm not out to insult anyone, just pointing out that WYSIWYG. If that makes things a PITA for you, then so be it. All I am stating is that it's not difficult. If so, how?

At least make that clear.

Whether the layers were visible or not, the target still distributed. Also, the distribution only applies to the image's canvas size. (It doesn't adjust to a cropped layer, for instance) The only complication I can envision is if the user wanted to distribute the target on to a separate layer of a different size, then offsets would come into play, which could be a PITA. I'd just simplify that and copy/paste the target to the original image of the proper sized canvas.

Addendum: Active Layer works quite nicely on cropped layers.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:40 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Sorry to contradict you guys but if I have a layer on top of the layer I wish to align, the align tool will always select that rather than the targeted layer, no matter what I do.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:54 am  (#12) 
Global Moderator

It's not a matter of contradiction. The questions are, are we both using the same GIMP version, and following the same pattern of steps? I could make 15 different videos showing how my GIMP behaves on my system, and one would expect that anyone else using the same OS and GIMP version it would behave the same way. Those things are not clear here. So in fairness to you, it would be diligent for us to ask more questions instead of assuming how to respond. The OP never responded, so it's a crapshoot. As for alignment's ease of use, well, that's an entirely different matter, and most certainly, not everyone is going to agree.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:36 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Bouncing off of what Rich said, I was able to make it work by making the layer above it invisible. Not much of a solution really as if I had many layers above, it would be easier to use shift to move the target layer to the top then move it back again afterwards.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:44 pm  (#14) 
Global Moderator

I chose active layer, and it worked flawlessly. Did you try that?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:47 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

Relative to? Yes I just tried it and it doesn't help.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:05 pm  (#16) 
Global Moderator

I can turn off ALL the layers (visibility) and it still works as long as I highlight (select) the active layer. GIMP can be a strange beast at times.