It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 9:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mypaint brushes
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:19 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.10.12
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: New User

:wvy
1) Is there a pdf showing the different Mypaint brushes and their use?(because not enough explanations here:
https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/fr/gimp-tool ... brush.html

I tried some but the thumbnails are too small and I stopped because discouraged.

2) And are there other than those defaulted in Gimp?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Mypaint brushes
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:13 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:
1) Is there a pdf showing the different Mypaint brushes and their use?(because not enough explanations here:
https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/fr/gimp-tool ... brush.html

Nothing that I know. There are some youtube videos showing MyPaint in action. One of those tools where the best way to learn, is play around with the options.

Quote:
I tried some but the thumbnails are too small and I stopped because discouraged.

Want a larger preview. Easiest way is open the mypaint dock Windows -> Dockable Dialogues -> MyPaint Brushes Then use the little option arrow and set a larger size.

Attachment:
02-mypaint.jpg
02-mypaint.jpg [ 203.73 KiB | Viewed 8870 times ]

Quote:
2) And are there other than those defaulted in Gimp?

Want more brushes? As far as I can tell Gimp has most of the original sets. I make it 177 types. The latest mypaint has 196 Showing all of them in MyPaint.

Attachment:
01-mypaint.jpg
01-mypaint.jpg [ 291 KiB | Viewed 8870 times ]

Where to look: https://github.com/mypaint/mypaint/wiki/Brush-Packages There will be other places. The usual snag, MyPaint has evolved to a upgraded brush version leaving Gimp behind. Not all of the newer brushes work. However some do. The first screenshot is part of the mojo set.

Installing.
Unlike Mypaint, you do have to unzip a brushes package. Then Gimp does not install the default mypaint brush folder. Make one and set it in Edit -> Preferences copy all the files into it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:58 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Do you know that if you hover your cursor over a brush in the brush selector, it tells you what the brush is?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:09 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks rich2005 and Erisian

I will test! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:13 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Erisian wrote:
Do you know that if you hover your cursor over a brush in the brush selector, it tells you what the brush is?

I apologize for talking so much gibberish! :oops: I had been playing with Krita which has similar style brushes and I got the two confused. Please ignore what I said earlier.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:27 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Erisian wrote:
Erisian wrote:

I apologize for talking so much gibberish! :oops: I had been playing with Krita which has similar style brushes and I got the two confused. Please ignore what I said earlier.

Erisian,I am happy to read you because yesterday afternoon I thought that I was not at level 0 but at level minus 50 ... ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:17 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

how to use brushes "acrylic only water" because I do not see any color with these brushes?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:28 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

level_0 wrote:
how to use brushes "acrylic only water" because I do not see any color with these brushes?

They can be used to spread and blend the colours that you have already put down.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:52 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

rich2005 wrote:
Not all of the newer brushes work.

I hope they'll work when 3.0 drops...was having issues with 3 brush packs, in particular; Concept and Design, Pack "08" and Ramon2. I finally got a tablet that works with GIMP without hassle (or have they updated the tablet support on the down low?) Either way, I finally have access to the wonder that is GIMP "under pressure" if you will haha Been downloading brush packs with tool presets when I can find them, and I feel like a kobold hoarding shines lol. Just found out about MyPaint brush support. So cool they have an entire tool for it. A bit disappointed they don't have it like the Paintbrush tool, where you click or tap on a brush, and it automatically selects the tool.