It is currently Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [Solved] Gimp Portable
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:48 pm  (#1) 

Hey Im hoping someone can help me

I have Gimp Portable for my USB flash drive because I use it mostly at work. I saw a video of yours about using Scripts and I downloaded it but I cant find the Script file I need to put it in. Does it work with Gimp Portable ?

Thanks

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Gimp Portable
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:52 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Founder

Gimp Portable is a windows specific recompile of Gimp, which allows it to be used as a so called portable app.

Rather than using the normal Windows registry to store paths and other configuration data, a "portable app" stores its settings in one or more configuration (.ini) files located in the home directory of the app. Check the directory structure of Gimp on your USB flash drive to determine if the hidden folders for scripts, brushes and such, still exist. I suspect they are still there. You should be able to simply download/extract the scripts or brushes and place them in the associated hidden folders, then reboot. After that, you should be able to use the new scripts & brushes. This is the same install method as one would do on a non-portable installation.

It's possible the folder may have been moved in Gimp Portable so check the .ini files on the USB device, as they may direct you to the folder locations.

If this doesn't solve your problem, you may also want to post a question on portableapps support forum.

Of course, if it were me, I would just load up Puppy Linux on my USB drive, boot Linux directly from the USB drive and run the full version of Gimp.

:pengy :gimp :pengy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:52 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Hi slaygirl

I use Gimp Portable and when I download scripts this what I do:

Download the zip file to the flash drive> open the zip file, right click on the opened file> copy to> double click on Gimp Portable> double click on App> double click on gimp> double click on share> double click on 2.0> double click on scripts> right click in the opened script folder and click paste> open Gimp Portable and refresh scripts.

I hope this helps or am I telling something you already know???

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:44 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Slaygirl

Make your life easier...no reason to search for Gimpportable script folder (or the other plugin pattern brush gradient folders )
create a new folder somewhere in the same USBdrive and put there your scripts

Then load gimp go to Edit/Preferences/ ..look for "Folder"

Expand "Folder, clicking on the sort of arrow before the name ,

then chose "script"-...there FIRST click on "New folder" button,
then on the "search" button, ... find the new folder you created, and click OK...DONE

It is the best method to add thing to your gimp, is a bit more complex to explain, but it is very easy to do

( BTW Doing that you will also see where are the default folders..but better let them as they are and avoid to mix your own add on with the bundled stuff ,as example because if you mix then you will lose everything when upgrading gimp...and is not the only advantage )

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:32 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Oy, another reason I don't want to upgrade. I would have to take all my added scripts and brushes and move them before I upgrade.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:26 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

2-ton wrote:
Oy, another reason I don't want to upgrade. I would have to take all my added scripts and brushes and move them before I upgrade.

If you installed as suggested shoulb nota prblem...you will have only to type again the folder path inpreferences

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:47 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

too late, lol. I had already stuffed in lots of new stuff before I came across that little suggestion.

Post subject: Re: [Solved] Gimp Portable
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:09 am  (#8) 

Download the zip file to the flash drive> open the zip file, right click on the opened file> copy to> double click on Gimp Portable double click on App> double click on gimp> double click on share> double click on 2.0> double click on scripts> right click in the opened script folder and click paste> open Gimp Portable and refresh scripts...