It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GIMP will not successfully export as pdf or png - ideas?
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 4:38 pm  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.10.24-1
Operating System: Linux
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

I use GIMP to import pages of a pdf file, I edit it then export it as a pdf and as a png.
I look at the exported pdf and it is 0 bytes. I try to open it and cannot.

When I try to export as a png file, GIMP issues an error message.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: GIMP will not successfully export as pdf or png - ideas?
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:24 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Something wrong with your Gimp as installed. How do you have it installed? That might get you more help. You could also try the Gimp AppImage as it's self contained: https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-appimage/releases

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:40 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:
GIMP issues an error message

which is?

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 4:28 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:
...- ideas?

Apart from that error message, Which linux distro and where did you get Gimp 2.10.24 from?

Is 2.10.24 the default version in your linux repo ? or
From a PPA like ppa:ubuntuhandbook1 or ppa:savoury1 ?

or more likely to cause open/export problems the sandboxed versions from flatpak or snap.

Is the problem confined to just PDF and PNG ? What about other image formats ?

As racer-x posted, you can always try the portable appimage version as a check. The problem might be the folder(s) you are using for the export.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:59 pm  (#5) 

racer-x wrote:
Something wrong with your Gimp as installed. How do you have it installed? That might get you more help. You could also try the Gimp AppImage as it's self contained:

I installed it from the repo. I have never tried an appimage on this linux - I will look into that. I reinstalled it and had the same problem with the new one. When I later on tried it again to write down the error message.. it shocked me and then worked as expected. I have no idea as I do the same thing whether it works or not. A ghost?

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 9:10 pm  (#6) 

Tas_mania wrote:
Quote:
GIMP issues an error message

which is?

Which is I can't remember and late when I tried again to replicate it and copy down the error message, it actually worked! Because I lost all day getting things done with it, I have been using GIMP all day today. Have no idea what was wrong and what fixed it. I do recall that everything was very slow. You pick export and it took a while for the next dialog window to pop up. I think the message was from GIMP and said something like it could not make a png file. For the pdf it looked like it was making a pdf file. Maybe the second dialog box did not appear. You see a pdf file by that name but with 0 bytes size and the file will not open.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 9:23 pm  (#7) 

rich2005 wrote:
Quote:
...- ideas?

Apart from that error message, Which linux distro and where did you get Gimp 2.10.24 from?

Is 2.10.24 the default version in your linux repo ? or
From a PPA like ppa:ubuntuhandbook1 or ppa:savoury1 ?

or more likely to cause open/export problems the sandboxed versions from flatpak or snap.

Is the problem confined to just PDF and PNG ? What about other image formats ?

As racer-x posted, you can always try the portable appimage version as a check. The problem might be the folder(s) you are using for the export.

It is KaOS and that version was just in the repo. I could open and import parts of the original pdf file I was interested in alright, it was just exporting my changes to a file is when I had the problems.

I wondered if some other software changed some file it needs to export, but later I tried it again and then it worked - AFTER I reinstalled it and had the same problem again. So today it worked like a champ and I got work done with it. :tyspin

I didn't try other image formats. I was exasperated with it at that point because I could not get it to work when I needed it. Reboot and reinstall did not fix it.
.. That's why it seems it may be a ghost. A GIMP ghost.

It would be nice to know what it was so I could fix it on the fly and not have to stop working for a day.

Thanks.