It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GIMP logo showing on every file download?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:29 pm  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: New User

Hello Everyone,

I download a zipped file containing .png graphics. I then unzip the file. Instead of just showing the files and their names, every file now shows the GIMP logo. If I click on one of them it will open GIMP and is ready to import that file. Why is it doing this? What if I want to just look at the file and not open GIMP. I also have Affinity Designer on my computer. Not always but sometimes my computer will list all the files I just unzipped with the Affinity Designer logo. Sometimes it will list the files with both GIMP and AD logos.

It only started doing this on my new computer. My old computer would just show and list the files that were unzipped and not have any GIMP or AD logos.

I don't like this as I can't see what the file is and I don't always want to open GIMP I may just want to look at the files to see what I have. Does anyone know how to change this so I quit getting the GIMP logo shown on every file?

This is hard for me to explain so I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. I will try to upload an image of what I am talking about. Thank you.

This is what I see after unzipping a file: https://ibb.co/N1CtzZ1

As you can see I can't see the files and if I click on any of them it will open the GIMP program.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: GIMP logo showing on every file download?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:02 pm  (#2) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
whateverwhy wrote:
GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: New User

Hello Everyone,

I download a zipped file containing .png graphics. I then unzip the file. Instead of just showing the files and their names, every file now shows the GIMP logo. If I click on one of them it will open GIMP and is ready to import that file. Why is it doing this? What if I want to just look at the file and not open GIMP. I also have Affinity Designer on my computer. Not always but sometimes my computer will list all the files I just unzipped with the Affinity Designer logo. Sometimes it will list the files with both GIMP and AD logos.

It only started doing this on my new computer. My old computer would just show and list the files that were unzipped and not have any GIMP or AD logos.

I don't like this as I can't see what the file is and I don't always want to open GIMP I may just want to look at the files to see what I have. Does anyone know how to change this so I quit getting the GIMP logo shown on every file?

This is hard for me to explain so I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. I will try to upload an image of what I am talking about. Thank you.

This is what I see after unzipping a file: https://ibb.co/N1CtzZ1

As you can see I can't see the files and if I click on any of them it will open the GIMP program.

There is an image viewer named XnView, which there is a plugin for that lets you view native GIMP .xcf files.
You would need to download XnView and then install the SageThumbs 2.0.0.23 plugin.

This is what I see within Windows File Explored when viewing GIMP xcf files using this plugin.

You also may want to check that all your image file associations within Windows are not pointing toward GIMP.

Edit: There is also the AGPL Ghostscript,
which will allow you to display vector formats like PDF, AI, using Xnview.
However, I have not worked with this script.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:08 am  (#3) 

Ahhhh... thank you, Wallace.

Yeah, what you're seeing is very nice. I will have to check out XnView.

But I think that is my problem...image file associations within Windows. I think I'm on the right path now to correct it. Thank you very much Wallace. I do appreciate it!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:33 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Yes, the issue you have has nothing to do with Gimp, you need to change it in the windows file associations.
Which, in my opinion has gone worse with Win10, I've changed the usual image files like .png, .jpg, .gif, .tga etc.
to open with IrfanView on my work computer, but had to change it back at least 2 or 3 times because it was changed back to the Windows Image Viewer as if by magic.

AGPL Ghostscript is good to install on Windows, I have it exactly for the same reason.
To preview some vectors formats without having to always open them in the vector editor.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:30 am  (#5) 

Oh no, I wasn't blaming Gimp or thought it was Gimp's fault. I just know Gimp people are smart people so someone here would have an answer. :)

Sometimes every file is an Affinity Designer logo which, of course, is just as bad. And sometimes Microsoft Edge's logo too. Oftentimes, when I download a zipped file of graphics, each file will be in two or three different formats... .png, .jpg, .eps, etc. and so if the zipped file was a bundle of say 20 different images, I'll have 60 or 80 files with 20 Gimp logos, 20 AD logos, 20 Edge logos, etc. And I can't see any of them unless I open either Gimp or AD or whatever. Driving me crazy... and taking up a whole lot more storage space.

And you're right about Windows 10... it's always trying to get me to switch to the Edge browser... sometimes in very sneaky ways.