It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Removing text from a poster imported as an image
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:18 pm  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.10.24
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: New User

So I'm brand new to Gimp, and I have done minimal graphics work as I work in Business Analysis platforms. So I got this band poster from a friend that that consists of a picture of him with text laid over. I imported this poster as a jpg image. I need to remove the old text and apply new text and images. I would like to remove the text and leave the background underneath. Is this possible? I'm having trouble importing images as well. I know I'm asking a lot but a link to a decent tutorial or any tips would be sooooo appreciated. Thanks!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Removing text from a poster imported as an image
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:26 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

What do you mean you have trouble importing images?
You don't import images, you open them with File->Open. If it's a supported image format, it will open.
Is the image you received from your friend .jpg?

It's very hard to say, without seeing the image if it's possible to remove the text easily, saving the background.
The most important factor is what kind of is the background.
Most of the time I face this kind of job, I rather re-create the background than try to extract the text/object from the front.
But it also depends on the text, is it huge, is it see-through or fully covering the background behind it?

You say it's a band poster from friend. That sounds like a work that should have been done properly,
using multi-layer format. I would first ask the original from your friend.
Then you don't need to do anything else than paste your text and images over the background.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:53 am  (#3) 

I appreciate the input. After playing with it for a while, I came to the same conclusion and decided to create a new piece. It came out quite nice and I learned alot more.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:56 am  (#4) 
Global Moderator

I changed a text on a fixed bmp once in 'paint'. I was able to fill in the area (after I selected it) with the same colour background. This can only be done with solid colour backgrounds though. In paint you dont have as many selection options as you do in gimp though. If the background is patterned you could try to clone over the text the same background. 'Align' option would give the best result.