It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: get a window to open on first click?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:27 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: New User

Attachment:
0b.JPG
0b.JPG [ 64.81 KiB | Viewed 3306 times ]
Attachment:
0b.JPG
0b.JPG [ 64.81 KiB | Viewed 3306 times ]
I have my tools window to the far right of the other two windows. When i click something like brush, or bucket fill, the window for that does not open. If i double click the icon it will then open on top of the window above the the layers window.

How do get that window to open with one click and in its own window, like the other tabs are?
The first pic shows clicking on the brush tool once, the second pic shows clicking on the brush tool twice.

Attachments:
0a.JPG
0a.JPG [ 58.37 KiB | Viewed 3306 times ]
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: get a window to open on first click?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:54 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

iti - when you click on an icon in the Toolbox window you are selecting it for use on your canvas. The Tool Options window will then show its pertinent attributes and parameters that can be changed. When you click on the brush once in the Brush Dockable Dialog, you are also selecting it for use on your canvas. When you click on it twice you are opening the Brush Editor Dialog where you can modify its attributes.

In the same way you can have your Layers/Paths/History Dialogs permanently open/visible, you can also leave your Brush Editor Dialog availble and with a single click on the Tab Icon, it will open for you.

Respect should be offered freely but hard earned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:29 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

oldmangrumpy wrote:
iti - when you click on an icon in the Toolbox window you are selecting it for use on your canvas. The Tool Options window will then show its pertinent attributes and parameters that can be changed. When you click on the brush once in the Brush Dockable Dialog, you are also selecting it for use on your canvas. When you click on it twice you are opening the Brush Editor Dialog where you can modify its attributes.

In the same way you can have your Layers/Paths/History Dialogs permanently open/visible, you can also leave your Brush Editor Dialog availble and with a single click on the Tab Icon, it will open for you.

Thank you my gimp crashed, and when i opened it again, that tab for the brush was there. yay! i had deleted tabs i dont use and i must have deleted it, but i couldnt find it again.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:12 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

iti wrote:
Thank you my gimp crashed, and when i opened it again, that tab for the brush was there. yay! i had deleted tabs i dont use and i must have deleted it,
but i couldnt find it again.

If you can't find a dockable dialog
In the menu, go to Windows > Dockable Dialogs > Chose the one you want to open/focus on it (you can find it also in the "Recently Closed Docks" if you just closed it)

While choosing a dockable dialog (Windows/Dockable Dialogs/...) If a dialog is already open, you will see it blinking for 1 second, and it will come into focus => to allow you to find it across the interface

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:38 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks!