It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: cannot move the crop tool to the line, why?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:55 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

using the crop tool and trying to crop on the grid line, but it will not go on it, it just goes past it as in the photos. I have it on the line at the other side, so why not here? gimp is so frustrating.

thanks

Attachments:
help2.JPG
help2.JPG [ 40.57 KiB | Viewed 3589 times ]
Help.JPG
Help.JPG [ 39.87 KiB | Viewed 3589 times ]
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: cannot move the crop tool to the line, why?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:08 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

Should work just by dragging the side of the selection and align with the guide in question. Better still, click View>Snap to guides and it will auto align as you drag your selection close to the guide.

Respect should be offered freely but hard earned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:41 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

iti, Your image shows a solid line not dashed so as you say it's the grid rather than guides. In my experience the grid is solid lines and guides dashed.

In the view menu there's Show Guides and Show Grid so try turning those on and see what you are snapping to.

To add to OMG's good post, in the view menu as well as Snap to Guides there's Snap to Grid, Snap to Canvass Edges and Snap to Path. So I suggest you make sure just the one(s) you want are on.

I find it easy to put Snap to Grid on by mistake when aiming for Snap to Guides as they are next to each other in the menu. Maybe you've done the reverse?

If none of the above then maybe that grid line isn't on a pixel boundary? How far zoomed in is your picture? It does look like the grid line is mid pixel and your attempted crops are to the pixel boundary either side of the grid line. You can't crop half a pixel.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:13 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

teapot wrote:
iti, Your image shows a solid line not dashed so as you say it's the grid rather than guides. In my experience the grid is solid lines and guides dashed.

In the view menu there's Show Guides and Show Grid so try turning those on and see what you are snapping to.

To add to OMG's good post, in the view menu as well as Snap to Guides there's Snap to Grid, Snap to Canvass Edges and Snap to Path. So I suggest you make sure just the one(s) you want are on.

I find it easy to put Snap to Grid on by mistake when aiming for Snap to Guides as they are next to each other in the menu. Maybe you've done the reverse?

If none of the above then maybe that grid line isn't on a pixel boundary? How far zoomed in is your picture? It does look like the grid line is mid pixel and your attempted crops are to the pixel boundary either side of the grid line. You can't crop half a pixel.

i zoomed in all the way and watched the crop tool as i moved it, it was moving only to the pixel boundary, the last one you mentioned. I havent taken the time to check how i have my grid set up, in inches, and its odd that way i guess, like changing the rulers to inches, the middle isnt on a tick mark, er the middle of an inch? like half? Thank you so much for your response!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:17 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

oldmangrumpy wrote:
Should work just by dragging the side of the selection and align with the guide in question. Better still, click View>Snap to guides and it will auto align as you drag your selection close to the guide.

the line is the grid i dont have any guides set up like that, but thank you, next time i will add some guides. It wont go to the grid line because the line is in the center of a pixel i found that out after zooming closer and watching the crop tool go back and forth on the pixel there.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:38 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

It is going to be an uphill journey for you to learn Gimp. Forget how "All other graphics programs" work

As noted earlier, your screenshot shows a grid-line. You can set up on a global basis Edit -> Preferences -> Default Image -> Default Grid Also there in Edit -> Preferences -> Image Windows -> Snapping is a snapping distance, default is quite small 8 pix. It can catch you out. Adjust to suit.

Working on an image, if for any reason you find that the grid is not convenient, colours, spacing etc it can be changed per image Image -> Guides -> Grid (1) . Same place you can set up a guide, blue line that extends outside the canvas. (2).
Grid / Guide lines are virtual, have no physical size. These settings are saved in a Gimp .xcf image.
Grid / Guides / Snapping is toggled On / Off in the View menu.

If you are unsure that the crop is exactly as you need it, use the Crop Tool Options and manually enter Position / Size as required.

Attachment:
grid.jpg
grid.jpg [ 194.59 KiB | Viewed 3483 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:35 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

rich2005 wrote:
It is going to be an uphill journey for you to learn Gimp. Forget how "All other graphics programs" work

As noted earlier, your screenshot shows a grid-line. You can set up on a global basis Edit -> Preferences -> Default Image -> Default Grid Also there in Edit -> Preferences -> Image Windows -> Snapping is a snapping distance, default is quite small 8 pix. It can catch you out. Adjust to suit.

Working on an image, if for any reason you find that the grid is not convenient, colours, spacing etc it can be changed per image Image -> Guides -> Grid (1) . Same place you can set up a guide, blue line that extends outside the canvas. (2).
Grid / Guide lines are virtual, have no physical size. These settings are saved in a Gimp .xcf image.
Grid / Guides / Snapping is toggled On / Off in the View menu.

Thanks yes i understand the guides and manual entry, the grid size i need to look at and see what its set at, i rarely use snap to anything. Good to know about the 8 pixels snap. The images i am working on and resizing already have their size? i mean pixels, so im not creating images with paint etc. I have to deal with resizing the best i can, and never thought about the line cutting through the center of a pixel instead of on its edges. Yes uphill battle, frankly gimp is not my cup of tea, so to speak, I am thankful its available, and of course free.
If you are unsure that the crop is exactly as you need it, use the Crop Tool Options and manually enter Position / Size as required.

Attachment:
grid.jpg